1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Colombia

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Physallis, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Hello. Has anyone got any info on schools in Bogota? I'm looking for a non-profit school (ideally) that teaches IGCSE and IB/A-level. Doesn't have to be top-tier but somewhere good for a first foray into international teaching.... Thanks! Please message me if needed.

2. Hello. Has anyone got any info on schools in Bogota? I'm looking for a non-profit school (ideally) that teaches IGCSE and IB/A-level. Doesn't have to be top-tier but somewhere good for a first foray into international teaching.... Thanks! Please message me if needed.

3. Arepa

Arepa New commenter

You should utilize the search function on this site. Much has been written about Colombia and Bogota. There are three good schools that meet your requirements in Bogota: one for the Angles, another for the Engles, and one for the Britons. Quite a few faculty of the Angles school have moved onwards and, particularly, upwards in the international school community. It is, in my opinion, a good spring board to a career in international education. While Bogota is, in the opinion of many international educators, an attractive place to live, the salaries are not particularly high. Nonetheless, you can live quite well on the local economy. Bogota also has a negative public image (rather exaggerated, you will find as you search this site). As a consequence, the competition for jobs is not as keen as in other locations. You do need to conduct some careful research should you consider other schools. Some can be quite dodgy.

4. johnnersco

johnnersco New commenter

There are three very good British international schools in Bogota. Two of them are non profit organizations which offer all three IB programmes (Primary Years, Middle Years and Diploma). They do not offer IGCSE and Colombians make up about 98% of student population. Both schools are large with between 1700 and 1800 children and about 200 teachers. Either school would be a good first experience of overseas teaching.
    The third is a family owned for profit school. It has a good reputation and offers the IB diploma and IGCSEs. It is a lot smaller than the other two schools (about 500 students) and is more international in terms of the student body.