1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Collins New Primary Maths Scheme

Discussion in 'Primary' started by leparkin, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Is anyone using this scheme at their schoool? If so what do you think? Do you havethe whole components or just bits? Is it useful for APP tasks?
    Many thanks

2. We use it alongside Maths On Target. I have middle set Y5 and find that the Collins is great for shape, space and measures, data handling etc but not so hot on pages of number work. The red section is meant to be for the more able but it is often very short and doesn't stretch my level 5s, whereas the Maths On Target is great and the harder work is much trickier, with plenty of questions. The number work is much more structured than in the Collins. if you can afford it, go for the Collins now and look to buy Maths on Target I the near future as I think they compliment each other very well and I can usually find what I need in one of the books. I have hardly needed to make my own sheets at all this year so they must be good!

3. Thanks for that. We already use Maths on Target but need something to help with APP assessment and also make our using and applying more explicit. Do you use the assessment packs?

4. No we don't. We use the BEAM books for investigative work - they're quite good. I also use the challenge for the more able book that seems to have been in school forever.

5. Thanks for the info

6. Which BEAM books are those? Is it We can do it?

7. Yes!