1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

college day

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by saints_coach, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Hi. I currently teach in secondary and I am looking to move into FE. Being at secondary I am used to having the school day and set lesson times. Does this still happen in FE, with set lessons and breaks, lunch etc etc? Wasnt sure if some colleges operate similar to universities where a lecture would be 9-10 or 1-2 etc. I realise the question will generate different answers depending on the college, but wondered if there is sort of a general time? Are the start and finish times of the day similar to schools? (e.g roughly 8.30 - 3.30)

2. Hi. I currently teach in secondary and I am looking to move into FE. Being at secondary I am used to having the school day and set lesson times. Does this still happen in FE, with set lessons and breaks, lunch etc etc? Wasnt sure if some colleges operate similar to universities where a lecture would be 9-10 or 1-2 etc. I realise the question will generate different answers depending on the college, but wondered if there is sort of a general time? Are the start and finish times of the day similar to schools? (e.g roughly 8.30 - 3.30)

3. Hi
    As you say, depends on the college and your role.
    Our earliest classes start at 9.00 and last day ones will be over by 4,30 or 5.00 but you can be asked to cover evening classes and these do not finish until 9pm.
    Lunch times vary (all students will get at least 30 mins) but they may fluctuate between different days of the week. No set breaks for teaching staff (again gaps in timetables dependant on courses taught, number of groups, etc).
    My contract does say that I can also be asked to cover Saturday classes but this has not happened (at yet) except for open days etc.

4. I was tempted to answer - no, lecturers and students wander around a bit and see if anyone else has bothered that day. More than 2 people in a room together constitutes a lecture in progress!
    But I resisted....

... it does depend on what subject and whether you will be contracted to take evening classes but in general lectures are about an hour long, give or take, and we start/finish at about the same time as schools, give or take an hour(ish).

The only way you will find out locally is to make enquiries - annoy some admissions people and ring pretending to be the parent of a prospective student, it's the right time of year for it!
    Have fun!

5. Classes in my (ex) college go from 9-10.30; 15 minute break which you won't get as you'll be racing from one end of the campus to another, then 10.45 - 12.15; an hour for lunch which you will spend working at your desk with a sandwich crammed in your mouth, then 1.15 - 2.45, 15 minute break as before and 3-4.30. Meetings follow at least two days a week until around 5.30
    Sorry, I should have made it clear that those timings are for level 3. Level 1 classes tend to be for an hour so 9-10; 10-11; 11.15 - 12.15; 1.15 - 2.15; 2.15 - 3.15; 3.30 - 4.30. Spot the difficulty in getting from A to B in the alloted time. Do you let them go 5 minutes early or accept them arriving late - either way it is an ofsted nightmareT
    Time for prep and planning depends very much on what you are teaching - I used to get 3 hours a week to include personal tutor time.
    It broke me - I left.

6. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Occasional commenter

I can only speak for my college but normal hours are 9-5, with lessons between 9:30 and 4:30, assuming no lessons out of timetable, lunch is around 45 minutes (officially 30 minutes unpaid). Up to two evenings a week, with time off in lieu. Maximum 24 hours a week of contact time (averaged over the year).