1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Colledge vs Secondary

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by MsPert, Dec 17, 2015.

1. MsPert

MsPert New commenter

Would you please tell me how teaching in a 16-18 college is different from teaching in a secondary school.
    I teach Maths. I'm unsure about what topics exactly are taught and what the scheme of work would look like. I have no clue to what to expect from the work environment, requirements, day-to-day duties, payments... Clean as a white page. :) Sorry for being so bluntly ignorant. ( :) - a guilty smile)
    I am an NQT. I applied and got an interview in a college and I am looking forward to teach there, sorry it just happened all my experience is from secondary. I just would like to know what I need to demonstrate during this interview to get the job.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo MsPert.

First of all, conditions of service. You don't say whether it is a FE or a SFC, but read this recent thread on this subject

https://community.tes.com/threads/workload-secondary-vs-fe-college.727073/#post-11523935

Secondly, you will have two sorts of pupil. Those doing A-levels, including maths. Fiarly similar to schools but with different pastoral arrangements for tutoring etc. And secondly those students on a wide variety of courses - including vocational courses (plumbing, catering, bricklaying, etc) who have to re-sit GCSE Maths.

They didn't like maths at school, they don't like being obliged to do it again here. How will you motivate them?

Generally less policing than in a secondary school.

Topics - it will be the same specifications - GCSE or A-level.

Best wishes

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Look at their prospectus. See which courses and qualifications they teach and look up the exam specs.

4. MsPert

MsPert New commenter

Thx
    And special thx for info about 2 groups of students. I'll motivate those who hate maths by helping them to get rid of it asap - by supporting them so that they can pass it easy and quick (hidden agenda - they might stop hating, it happened before, but I won't blame them if not )