1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Collective Worship in Foundation Stage

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by avon_lady, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Interesting discussion occured recently re collective worship in the reception class of our church school. Reception children dont go to school assemblies often, we tend to have our own assembly in our classroom with music, candle, period of reflection etc. In the past I have started this in January term, and not in Autumn term. HT now wants it happening this term , but FS staff are confused as this term there are no children of statutory school age as this begins the term after thier fifth birthday ie from Jan! We were under the impression that cw should start when the chn are of stat school age.

I have been searching the internet but cannot find anything relating to this, only that collective worship should take place daily. Can anyone clarify the stat school bit for me or tell me where I can find it in black and white.

Thanks!

2. Interesting discussion occured recently re collective worship in the reception class of our church school. Reception children dont go to school assemblies often, we tend to have our own assembly in our classroom with music, candle, period of reflection etc. In the past I have started this in January term, and not in Autumn term. HT now wants it happening this term , but FS staff are confused as this term there are no children of statutory school age as this begins the term after thier fifth birthday ie from Jan! We were under the impression that cw should start when the chn are of stat school age.

I have been searching the internet but cannot find anything relating to this, only that collective worship should take place daily. Can anyone clarify the stat school bit for me or tell me where I can find it in black and white.

Thanks!

3. http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primary/faqs/foundation_...

look at Q8:

can i ask where you get your ideas for short collective worship for everyday. only just started doing it this year and running out of ideas. i can always think of something when it is to do with a festival but there aren't festivals everyday!
    are there any books you would recommend?!

4. Thanks Zujo; I had already seen this; it was the most useful bit of info I found, the slightly confusing bit is that these FAQ's relate to A foundation Stage Unit & not a Foundation (Reception) class in a school, so i was just wondering if anyone knew about Reception classes.

I know that legally CW has to be provided for all registered pupils whether in primary school or Early Years Unit, but nursery classes and nursery schools are exempt. Looking at the link you suggested I suppose it could be argued that CW did not need to start until Jan term when chn are of statutory school age?

We start our assembly with some calming music and I light a candle. As for what I do in CW over the week I do one of these things each day.

* a celebration, eg birthday, new baby, new house, etc
    * listen & respond to a poem or piece of music
    * sing a song or hymn together, usually something rousing or with actions! eg Wise Many Built His House Upon the Rock.
    * Examine a special object, eg flower, shell, something precious belonging to a child.
    * Something around a religious event or festival

The assembly lasts for less than 10 minutes but we always sit quietly together at the end, for a period of reflection, then blow out candle and listen to quiet music again.

I do have a definative list from out LEA with ideas for FS; I'll see if I can find it & post it here !

5. Did you post that definative list??? I would be very interested in looking at this.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

All maintained schools must provide daily collective worship for all registered pupils (apart from those who have been withdrawn from this by their parents or, from September 2007, sixth-form pupils, as defined in Section 71(8) of the Schools Standards and Framework Act 1998, who have withdrawn themselves). This collective worship is usually provided within daily assembly but can also be done within individual classes or groups of children. This may be particularly appropriate for younger children in primary schools.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter