1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Collective Passports

Discussion in 'School trips' started by mrfabs, Aug 25, 2016.

1. mrfabs

mrfabs New commenter

The Passport Office are reviewing Collective Passports, with a view to remove them.

Do many of you use one?

What do you think would be the effect of removing them?

Thanks

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

You won't be able to get one any more ...

3. mrfabs

mrfabs New commenter

The question is do you think it would affect the decision of the parents to let their child going on a trip if they also have to pay and apply for a passport. I am thinking for depraved area.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If a parent has to add the cost and faff of getting a passport onto the trip then it may dissuade some. Is it still £72 to apply?

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I would like to live in a depraved area (I hope you are blaming this on predictive text)!

6. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Under-16 is £46, 16 and over, £72.50

And if that is to be added on to the price of a tour, then I agree with you, Blazer - it could be very off-putting.

7. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Potential drawbacks: only works to 16 European countries; all on the passport have to be British nationals; if the named leader doesn't travel, the passport becomes invalid (unless a deputy is named on the passport). Also a what-if issue: medical or other repatriation of one or more people on the passport?

8. ellieinfrance

ellieinfrance New commenter

We always use them, and have never had any problems (why would you not name a deputy?!?). However if the passport office remove them, the only option will be for children to have their own before travelling. Agree that the cost of a passport - and having to complete the form for some - will be a real problem for some. Unfortunately these kids will then miss out. As a reply to above, if you need to repatriate someone, the British Consul will issue a temporary travel document for those coming home. Yes this would be a hassle, but not impossible to do.