1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Collecting assessment data for primary tracking

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Trapin1, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Trapin1

Trapin1 New commenter

As a year 5/6 teacher just out of my NQT year, I would like to know how other schools go about collecting data for their pupil tracking.
    At my school, where all classes are mixed year groups, I provide termly data from having my class sit previous SATs papers. My year 5s do the 2003, 2006 and a year 6 past paper and my year 6s do the last 3 years SATs papers. The year 4s have, in the past, done the year 4 optional papers but this year are doing something different. I don't know what assessments are used for year 3. The year 2s (in the run up to the real SATs) are being teacher assessed and doing past papers (I think) and beyond that I have no idea how year 1 are assessed.
    Is this how data is collected in other schools? It all seems a bit inconsistent to me and I wonder at the validity of the results and the pressures placed on teachers to show progress.
    Is there some 'proper' way to go about this?
    Thanks

2. we use Classroom Monitor and it deals very effectivly with the problems you describe with consistenty that in turn effects continuity. This was one thing I didn't really appreciate when I was first looking at it but once I had it up and running I then realised that this was the most imprtant feature.