1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Colleagues in Japan

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by MrDoc, Mar 11, 2011.

1. MrDoc

MrDoc New commenter

Our thoughts are with you. Kia kaha

2. I have just been offered a job teaching in Tokyo. Do you think it is a good idea to come out to Japan now after the awful earthquake? How do you see it impacting on Tokyo life etc? Also my partner works in IT project management do you think there would be opportunities for him in Tokyo?
    Thanks in advance :)

3. I have just been offered a job teaching in Tokyo. Do you think it is a good idea to come out to Japan now after the awful earthquake? How do you see it impacting on Tokyo life etc? Also my partner works in IT project management do you think there would be opportunities for him in Tokyo?
    Thanks in advance :)

4. A job to start in a few months? If so then I see no reason not to take it. I don't think there'll be any long term impact in Tokyo (unless the nuclear reactors do go into some complete meltdown but I think that is very unlikely).
    As to your partner's employment opportunities, I have no idea. The economy here wasn't fantastic before and this is not going to have done it any good but I'm really not knowledgeable enough to know what kind of impact that might have on IT type jobs. I imagine it also depends on all kinds of personal details like his experience, contacts etc.
    If you want to ask more (or tell me where the job is) feel free to send me a pm.

5. Further to my last email, we're still all fine but a lot of teachers and students have left Japan. Most of the international schools have closed down and plan to stay that way for at least a week or two. There is definitely quite a bit of anxiety and the aftershocks (and new quakes - they aren't all coming from the same epicentre) aren't helping much. Neither is the tension over the power stations.