1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Colleague slagging me off after work - should I confront her?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by regencyrob, Feb 21, 2011.

1. I would go and speak to slt who could say that they have heard Wat has been said from a 3rd person rather than you and they can then have a quiet word with them!

It's not your fault if your not very good so she should keep her mouth shut!!

That second part was a joke btw

2. I would say yes, it is the assertive approach. Get to the bottom of things, rebuild the relationship. It's not professional to slag off staff to colleagues, for her part, she should have shared any concerns she may have with you. Chances are she'll retract, or you might be glad of well-intentioned feedback. You are a team, or should be.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Soo someone had a bad day, was letting her hair down in the pub and had a good whinge about a colleague. It isn't pleasant, it isn't ok, but it isn't the end of the world and nor would she be the first person to do so. Having a huge row with her about it isn't going to help.

I would be questioning why the other teacher felt the need to tell you, unless it was to cause trouble and bad feeling. If I was the head and heard this whole story, I'd be have a serious chat with the person making the comments AND the person repeating them. I'd be seriously unimpressed if you 'confronted' her while still as cross as you are from your post.

Take a few days. Calm down. Then decide whether to do anything or not. If you decide to do anything, then think it through carefully to ensure you don't lower yourself to the unprofessional level of your colleagues.

4. Of course you could do a school assembly, in which kids slag each other behind their backs, and the bad feeling and emotional pain that then ensues. Then role play how things should be. I'm not being serious here, but the point is your colleague or school isn't practising what it probably teachers regarding PSHCE.

5. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

So you've never spoken about someone in a negative way then? It's an inevitable part of any job, but especially teaching.

6. If you are addressing me on this one, the answer is no, not really really, not like described in post 1. If I think something needs addressing, I speak directly to the person concerned, if I say something "behind someone's back", it's already been my position expressed to the persons' face, and the motivation would not be to put someone down as in slagging them off, but to express my POV.. I write a lot of negative things on TES, but then I can't speak directly to the government about things.

7. Completely off topic, but if you ask your MP to ask a question of a government minister, the minister is obliged to respond and the MP obliged to forward the response to you. Unlikely to make much difference to policy, but that might be because not enough people do this.