1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Colleague resigns During Summer

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by jago123, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Mmmm, interview panel of one? Needs must, I presume. Hope you’re able to appoint. It can be a risk when teachers are immediately available but there can be many, many reasons for that including relocation.

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Very true - initial offer of a fixed term contract...?

Flanks likes this.
  3. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

It is not always a simple case. I know of a teacher who had been ill for a while and during a holiday was given the information that they had six months to live. The person involved resigned immediately and saw out her last eight months without the problems of teaching.

FrankWolley, henrypm0, Flanks and 2 others like this.
  4. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

Agree - I have only ever interviewed on a single day for one post.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

And surely to goodness no one with an ounce of compassion would expect anyone to work their notice in a situation like this?
    However the staff member the OP speaks of has started work elsewhere...

Pomza, nomad and Startedin82 like this.
  6. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

And from the sound of the resignation letter this was due to workload. After all those years being a successful teacher there must have been trigger.

7. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

There's a fair sprinkling of not-quite-rightness about this whole story.

8. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Before you all start making assumptions and not waiting for my response- I had an interview panel of 3 which consisted of myself, the CoG and the DHT. We have made an appointment for the role and they start this week. It was one of the candidates on the first day of interviews that was selected. The three rejected candidates who were interviewed were credible, however, the candidate we appointed had more experience in that particular role and what we were actually looking for.

9. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Well done, jago. A difficult situation resolved and hopefully someone appreciates the opportunity.

Flanks likes this.