1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Collapsed timetable days

Discussion in 'Personal' started by shy anne, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Does anyone else have to go through the hell of collapsed timetable days? I would love to know who thought that having two such days at the end of term was a good idea! Even the pupils do not like them, I had 8 non-attenders today and I know they have voted with their feet!
    So, after a long term there I was today, knee deep in craft materials delivering 5 one hour workshops to boistrous Y8 pupils, many refused to listen or follow instructions and just wore me out so I was home and alseep by 5.00pm.
    And I have to go through it all again tomorrow, running workshops all day and the delights of break duty on the last day of term when all the manic ones run through the school screaming!!
    ARGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

2. An utter shite example of an initiative that is good in theroy and good in practice on a small number of occasions, but is mainly an heck of a lot of effort for frick all return in the majority of cases.
    cyolba, glad we don't do them at CANT :)

3. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

We have had 3 this year, but luckily the head has cancelled the rest. No one is upsett! [​IMG]

4. I wish our Head would cancel ours! We had day 2 of hell revisited today but at least we have broken up now for Easter. It was a small consolation to be told that my workshop was the most popular according to the feedback but by 2.00pm, the kids and me really had had enough and my last session was quite difficult to manage - its amazing what a few bribes of sweets can do though wiith restless 12 year olds!

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

They either look for my year 13 lessons or my free periods (preferably the day when I have 2 of each).
    P

6. Nope, classes as usual.
    Ours just voted with their feet and went to the beach.
    Who can blame them in this weather? I know where I'd rather have been.
    At least I managed to double up my last period class (the 40% who turned up!) with a PE class and get them outside to play rounders...no relation to my subject whatsoever, but we all had fun in the sun rather than sitting in a stuffy classroom!

7. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Agreed.
    Done well they can be good but that puts a massive amount of pressure on to a small number of teachers. In my experience the small number of teachers who are always working hardest anyway.
    Ours were called "Deep Learning Days" before they were abolished. Not a lot of learning went on and what did was pretty shallow.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Some of ours have daft names the kids make up and rubbish logos, but what happens is just as pointless. We already have good stuff to do - it's called the timetable and SoW into which we have put an enormous amount of effort. Then we are told "ignore that and start from scratch" for some vague undefined reason.
    It's not just the year group on the collapsed day who have to do things of dubious quality, other timetabled classes also miss out as their lessons are covered (or not at all in the case of 6th form) so there's an awful lot of knock-on effect.

9. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

What a crazy idea to do something like this on the last day of term when the students will be hyped up and those with the usual concentration skills of a gnat will have those levels reduced to the concentration levels of an ameoba ( no offence meant to ameobas) I remember when I was a primary teacher and last thing on the friday before easter, we used to send kids out for the last playtime and their easter baskets would be full with mini eggs on their return. Once they had seen that the easter bunny had been the class were virtually on the ceiling they were so high.....one year I hid them in my stockroom until the last second of the day in an attempt to reduce the mob hysteria that always hit once the kids had seen the bunny's footprints on the corridor....I have never come so close to proclaiming....the easter bunny is dead and it was me who throttled him.....i bet the person who thought of these sessions made sure they weren't doing them...all I can say is you poor,poor think....have a Easter cake, as it's the holidays now.Let's hope this silly initiative dies the death it deseves.

10. moonpenny

...thing...am typing on my nokia

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We used to have several. Organised by an assistant head. She rarely actually did anything, just delegated to others. Anyway she went on maternity, no-one else bothered and they pretty well died.

12. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

Yes we had them. Children were either silly and over-excited, or aggressive and unpleasant because they can't cope with the change of routine for 2 weeks (home lives not great).
    So, we let them run wild in an egg hunt and filled them with chocolate. Took half to the cinema whilst half remained in school (imagine the consequent sulking for those who didn't go and rubbing it in for those that did). Took them to the church (don't get me started on that farce) and then cooped them up in the hall for the whole afternoon on the last day to give out what felt like 3 million certificates, oh and filled them with chocolate and jelly sweets.
    I felt like a glorified babysitter for 2 days and would like to apologise to the trees for the amount of colouring sh*te I photocopied.

13. I can see no end of these days at my school now that they have taken PSHEout of the timetable - apparently we have to cover all aspects of the PSHE curriculum through such events - a total of 7 days over the year so still got three to look forward to in July!
    It is true what other people have said, these days are the responsibility of one of the AHT's who delegates all the actual work to Subject Heads and teachers while the AHT's are in charge of corridors and discipline - but as they convince themselves that we have no discipline problems they are rarely seen.
    I cannot understand why some teachers, like me, had to work full time for the two days without a non-contact, while others end up with enough free time to plan next terms work and send loads of emails requesting things from those of us who are busy working!! I made a point of opening no emails for the two mails and have 43 waiting for me when I go back after Easter - I just hope there are no urgent ones!!

14. I worked in one school where they were thoroughly planned and very well prepared for, so they were successful.
    In another school, planning was along the lines of "Well, we have Year 10, what can we do with them?" - which doesn't seem to be much of a learning experience as far as I can tell. Some groups were taken to the cinema (go figure).
    And of course Y12/13 lost out. Generally nothing was planned for them, beyond an expectation that they would 'help out' with younger classes, but not enough was done to prepare or encourage them on that task. So they lost valuable lesson time and were given nothing in return. No wonder most just didn't come in on those days.

15. We have to have collapsed timetable days to deliver CIAG to our students, mainly because our departments are so completely pants at including any careers element. Therefore we've got 1000 kids who have no idea why they are doing what they are doing.

16. moonpenny

My kids would have been just as happy with a 2 hour video and then being let out early which they were with a 1.00 finish.
    I have one who love anything craft/technology based and the other who hates doing anything like that.
    The one who hates technology ,quite enjoyed a business week where they got to go to the IBM headquarters and help themselves to hot chocolate all week. To be honest, I think it was the free hot chocolate on tap that swung it.
    I think where initiatives like these fall down is when they become just another hoop to jump through or a box to tick, plus doing it en-mass.
    The last day before the Easter holiday is just plain daft and I think it is really unfair that the workload falls on just a few people rather than being shared out fairly.
    I started off in teaching thinking it would be good to do lots of interesting ,off timetable stuff at the end of a term but then realised that it is better in terms of keeping a class under control to keep to the set routines for as long as possible.If you lose the routines,the class just gets collectively hyper. I used to find this if my class had a supply teacher for a few days (not getting at supply teachers there as I know it can be a hard job)
    If it was me,I would have to say something , unless I did think it would die a death on it's own which often initiatives do.

17. We have three a year and they are usually good and students get helpful stuff from them. We have Y10 for one of them and do some controlled assessment speaking and listening work with them about this time of year(I teach English), one is organised by Year group so often has a PSE focus, the other is often negotiable - in terms of who we get and what we do.And, importantly, our Unions have ensured that free periods and PPA are protected (although not always in the same place in the day). In fact, I'm looking forward to our next suspended timetable day as I have Year 13 and free periods all day and, as Y13 will have gone, they won't be able to use me at all - it's the way my school works.

18. Gosh, protected non-contacts, fantastic! I 'lost' 5 non-contacts as all my management and PPA time falls on a Thursday and Friday. Most of us taught for all 5 lessons on both days - and SLT think we actually enjoyed ourselves!!

19. Well, your PPA can not be taken away, so if they collapse the timetable, they are taking it away: that's a legal non-starter. Secondly, if you are being asked to teach when you are free, then, you are covering: and that's not allowed if the 'absence' is known about, and, as collapsed timetable days are known about in advance, you can't be asked to cover - unless there's an extreme emergency. And just before you try and tell me that collapsed timetable days don't count: they most certainly do.