1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

collapsed days - losing PPA

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by kittenface, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Hoping someone can offer some clarity here. My school has collapsed the school timetable at the end of the last two terms and finished the school day 1 hour early. My PPA and another non-contact hour to fulfil TLR responsibilties falls on a Fri and on both collapsed timetable days I have lost both the PPA and the non-contact hour to sit with my form all morning in one case and to supervise a study session in another case.
    I have been informed by SLT that they can direct what they like on collapsed timetable days but it doesn't seem very fair when others (who are timetabled to teach at this time) are gaining time and I'm losing PPA or am just moaning?

2. Hoping someone can offer some clarity here. My school has collapsed the school timetable at the end of the last two terms and finished the school day 1 hour early. My PPA and another non-contact hour to fulfil TLR responsibilties falls on a Fri and on both collapsed timetable days I have lost both the PPA and the non-contact hour to sit with my form all morning in one case and to supervise a study session in another case.
    I have been informed by SLT that they can direct what they like on collapsed timetable days but it doesn't seem very fair when others (who are timetabled to teach at this time) are gaining time and I'm losing PPA or am just moaning?

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

If it's the last day of term, why would you need the PPA?

4. So she doesnt have to use her holiday time to prepare, plan and assess? Just as everyone else is able to?
    Is it not the principle of being entitled to it, and being treated the same as everyone else rather than the timing of it resulting in it not being useful?

5. To be strict about things PPA is a minimum of 10% of your timetabled teaching time. If a collapsed day reduces your timetabled teaching time, then your PPA should also be reduced, not eliminated. PPA is a legal entitlement, your school are wrong to suggest that a collapsed day can be treated inthis way.
    Talk to your union if you are so exersized about the issue, but it might seema bit of an over reaction for just 1 day in a whole term.

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

I thought all schools sis this!
    One year you gain, one year you lose - swings and roundabouts!!

7. lidlest

lidlest New commenter

Sorry but I find this funny - I have PPA on a Friday last thing. When school finishes early at the end of term all i think is 'woohoooooo!'.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

My point exactly. There's nothing to stop the OP taking their PPA after the others have taken advantage of the early finish and gone home, is there?

9. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Irony aside Middlemarch, you know PPA can only be taken when teaching sessions are taking place.
    Secondly this is not a case of school closed so PPA is not available, the OP was quite clear, PPA is being removed whne the school is open. In my own school we don't haggle over losses and gains with split weeks etc, PPA takes place according to timetable, no matter which day it falls on and in what part of which week, swings and roundabouts works acceptably well.
    Thirdly, why do teachers have to be flexible? perhaps management could see this is an unusual position, a one-off and perhaps do this supervision so the teachers could get together and do their joint planning - it's the last day of term after all.....

10. I understand that its the last day of term (in both cases) and in most of the time I try to be flexible and accommodating but it did peeve me that as I'm policing a study skills session all morning as the pile of A level essay marking grows bigger that the teachers who were timetabled to teach were sat in the staffroom enjoying a cuppa during their gained time. Just because my PPA falls on a fri doesn't mean I have less work to do than anyone else!
    I guess I'm just out of good will atm. Anyhoo done and dusted now and according to SMT I should be flattered(!) that I was chosen!

11. ps - 6 years in this school I have yet to gain! But I'll stop moaning now!

12. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I've upped this thread as for some reason TES doesn't seem to want me to start a new thread.

Just wondering people's views on losing PPA on alternative timetable/curriculum days.

So far this year, we've had two INSET days, both on a Monday, both meaning I lost 2 hours of PPA time per day. Next week, form tutor are being made to deliver an additional, extended tutor session on an area of citizenship/PHSCE. This will involve us teaching and hour-long session with our tutor groups, during period 2 of the day, which is usually the 2nd hour of my PPA.

I've asked my line manager about this and she asked the headteacher, who claims that because it's an "alternative curriculum" (or similar wording) that I can lose my PPA and it's tough sh1t (my paraphrasing). I asked my union rep - who is generally very good - and he said that lost PPA should be paid back at another time and that other 'collapsed days' are organised so that every gets back their proportion of PPA. In practice, this NEVER happens, even though it should.

Whether it does or doesn't, the point is that I need my PPA in the usual place in order to allow me to maintain work/life balance (sort of), complete shared planning with another colleague and generally meet the many workload demands being poured upon us right now. We're in the midst of a KS4 QA, with observations and drop-ins taking place; we've a book scrutiny coming up and report for year 8 to write. Getting my PPA paid back in February is of no use to me with my current workload.

Is my head teacher correct? I don't wish to be inflexible, but it seems like every week we're being asked to "just give up 1 hour's PPA" or "just attend a quick meeting at lunch time" or "just" do this bit extra, or that bit more...it will continue until we say no!

Advice anyone??

Eva xx

13. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I should also add that we are "just" being asked to invigilate "the one" mock exam as the school cannot get external invigilators for that day. Needless to say, I'm getting fed up with the drip, drip of conditions being eroded away. I know others have the same issues, but unless someone speaks up, nothing will be done.

14. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

See tom clancy's reply above, he nailed this one: your head is wrong/lying. Just refusing or failing to carry out requests or requirements in breach of the few rights you have (the other obvious one here being attending lunchtime meetings) will put your head in the position of trying to force you to do it.. or dropping the matter. Check it out with your union rep to make sure they will take it up with divisional/regional office if anything develops.

15. coppull

coppull New commenter

Please ensure you do not also give any of your free time or good will to the school in the future !!!!

16. chriszwinter

chriszwinter New commenter

That's the school's problem, not yours. Paragraph 93 of STPCD 2013 says that "if a school reorganises the timetable for ’mock’ examinations to replicate the external examination process then teachers should not be required to invigilate."

I note that you are being "asked" rather than "required". There may well be people who will agree to do this as it's only this once, for the good fo the pupils, etc. etc. There's not much point in having hard won conditions of service if people are going to ignore them.