1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cold task talk 4 writing reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lucye, Apr 1, 2019.

1. lucye

lucye New commenter

Hi there,
    My school have introduced cold and hot tasks for writing. I can clearly see how this works further up the school. I was wondering what this would look like in Reception. Especially at the beginning of the year when they will be starting to learn their sounds,

2. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

Whole class, small groups, individuals - depending on time, teacher / TA transcribes what children say. In FS its about children understanding how to construct a story. I would always give an opportunity to write their own, and if transcribed would give each child a copy of their story. Encourage them to read it, all will support writing development. You can also record them telling the story and then encourage them to 'write' it.

Kartoshka likes this.
  3. ChanChan123

ChanChan123 New commenter

I think cold and hot tasks work higher up because alot of children have the understanding of how to build and structure a story further up.

You could present the children with an object linked to your next story and ask them to create a story. So if you're doing the hungry caterpillar, show them a picture of a caterpillar and a butterfly and ask them to write a story based on that. Then you can assess this directly after you've taught the relevant information.

Don't know how that would work in different abilities though as some children will definitely need input to build or write a story so not sure how it would show progress in that case.

Could you maybe assess their storytelling by creating a story square and asking them to verbally tell you one? That way you can see if they're using the taught story language at the end?

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

At the start of the year, the cold task could be to write their name, or a short sentence (dictated and linked to phase 2 phonics). Then after a couple of weeks or so of teaching do the hot task.

Once you have planned what you are teaching that week/fortnight and what the final outcome will be, do that task as a cold task at the start and again at the end as the hot task.

Talk for writing doesn't need to be a whole story...it could be a label, caption, etc.