1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cold symptoms advised to stay home

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by PamDemic, Aug 26, 2020.

1. PamDemic

PamDemic New commenter

2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

3. PamDemic

PamDemic New commenter

Heath board.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  4. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

Don't know about snotty noses being sent home but like many other schools, no doubt, we've had 'persistent coughers' isolated to covid room and sent home for a test, all negative surprise, surprise. What exactly is a persistent cough anyway? There is no specific guidance so no HT will let them remain in school, they get sent home and have another couple of days off school. The neds know that you can only play this card so many times but even so no-one wants to pull them up about it.

Marisha, PamDemic and bigjimmy2 like this.
  5. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

It's because Covid is flavour of the month right now (no offence intended) that they get away with it.

6. bobsuruncle84

bobsuruncle84 New commenter

I suspect the majority of pupils playing the 'covid card' are the same pupils who make life a misery for the rest of us when they grace us with their presence.

I certainly won't be losing any sleep if they give us all peace to get on with it while they self isolate for a few days.

7. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

I suspect any fakers will be reduced by the need to get their sinus explored each time.

8. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Fine by me. I no longer feel the urge to teach somebody who doesn't want to learn - their career path may well be laid out for them by their choices now and at some point in the future, they may reflect on this as they squirt bleach under the toilet rim in the service station facilities they've been assigned to clean.

vforvendetta and bigjimmy2 like this.
  9. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

There will be a lot of staff and student absence, and this will sometimes mean closing classes, or year groups, or schools.

There is no way around this, schools just have to be prepared.

Catgirl1964 and PamDemic like this.
  10. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I took that attitude a few years ago after I was habitually ignored by SLT in dealing with poor behaviour. Instead, my "management" of the situation was brought into question, repeatedly.

To be clear the behaviour I was dealing with ranged from the usual, trivial interruptions to being threatened with a "visit" from pupils' dads: still, "management" did next to nothing.

Had I been at any of my previous schools I'd still be teaching (I've retired). Poor behaviour and lack of support take a toll in the long term.

11. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Completely sympathise. Had this in my previous school and it's beginning to creep in to my current one.

12. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

I too have just retired early mainly because I was fed up trying to teach a growing band of pupils who not only had no interest in participating in lessons but had also perfected ways to disrupt the learning of others.

SLT were more keen to placate irate parents of recalcitrant pupils rather than actually admit that, in many cases, certain kids will never change their ways and will spend at least 4 years of secondary disrupting the learning experience of the majority of pupils who do want to learn.

When Covid struck I just saw another year ahead where disinterested kids would find new ways to make teaching a challenging and frequently frustrating process.

When I reflected on all the unnecessary hoops we have to jump through each year, which never actually improve the classroom experience for the kids, I knew I had to go.

I took a hit on my pension but have improved my mental health.

I've already had a call to help out with some supply work - I refused the invitation.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  13. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

That sums up very accurately my own experience. My last school was a well-known inner city hellhole of a place, regarded throughout the city as somewhere you just don't want to work.

The place sickened me so much that it put me off teaching entirely and I made sure I resigned from the GTCS to prevent me from ever returning.

Blood still boils a bit when I think of the place (does it show?!). And to think I told my FH at my previous school that I loved my job - not a word I use often, especially wrt work!

PamDemic, Marisha and mousey1394 like this.
  14. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Just had our Covid meeting. Cold symptoms mean go home immediately, get a covid19 test. If positive, follow the guidance otherwise get back to school. For pupils and staff.

PamDemic and Marisha like this.
  15. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

How long from booking to test results?

16. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

Is this National or LA guidance or at the whim of your HT? I thought NS specifically make the point of stressing that there should be no covid tests for cold symptoms, or am I wrong? If we were to send home every pupil in our school with cold symptoms it would be half-empty with parents banging down the door of the HT for disrupting their daytime tv.

sicilypat and bigjimmy2 like this.
  17. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Sorry for the confusion. I am in Spain. We were given the latest government advice this morning.

However, a student turning up to any school in the world with a runny nose, sniffing and coughing SHOULD be sent home. It is NOT the job of a school to analyses symptoms and try to discern cold or covid19.
    How can anyone tell the difference between cold symptoms and covid19?

All staff are having a covid19 test tomorrow. Results here are available same day apparently.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  18. Jazzz

Jazzz New commenter

Had a couple of staff who got tested last week and they got their results in 24hrs. (Scotland) Both tests were negative thankfully!

PamDemic and bigjimmy2 like this.