1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cold and Hot tasks- A great way to see improvement or just another way to hold teachers accountable?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jmhgadd, Nov 26, 2019.

1. As a trainee teacher, I have been introduced into the world of cold and hot tasks when students start a new topic in English or Maths. They start the topic answering questions or writing a piece before any information is given to them, then at the end are retested to see what they learn. I personally think it's a great way of seeing a child's progress but speaking to experienced teachers, they say it's just another way to hold them accountable which I can definitely see.
    So I just wanted to ask, should tasks like these stay or are they right, are they just making teachers more accountable if a child doesn't progress as well from the beginning to end of the topic?

2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

In my opinion it isn’t a good use of time. If you know your pupils well, you have a pretty good idea of what they can and can’t do. What is the point of spending 30 or 60 minutes on a task which you know they won’t really be able to do - or won’t be able to do well - and after you’ve taught them, doing it again to show that they can do it? All it’s done is provide evidence for parents/SLT/inspectors. As a professional teacher, you already knew what the results of the cold task would be. But who trusts a teacher’s professional judgement these days?
    If you don’t know a class well, there may be occasions where it could be helpful, but usually once you start teaching a new topic you can pick up pretty quickly who is grasping it and needs challenging and who needs more support.

cassandramark2 and Josh7 like this.
  3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

waste of time, why spend teaching time proving children don't know something.

bajan, cassandramark2 and ViolaClef like this.
  4. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

Have to say, I've never heard of people doing specific formal cold tasks in maths - a bit of AFL for a topic they have studied previously to see what they have remembered, sure - helps you to pitch things and discover specific gaps in learning but doing a formal cold task for something they've not studied before just seems a bit daft.

cassandramark2 and ViolaClef like this.
  5. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

Aargh, once again it has deleted half my post...not sure whether I can be bothered to rewrite the whole thing now...