1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cognitive processing issues

Discussion in 'Primary' started by PARTALOA, Jan 19, 2016.

1. PARTALOA

PARTALOA New commenter

Can anyone help? I've been tutoring a Yr 6 pupil for English. We have overcome some difficulties recognising homophones. But, the pupil is still not spelling her words correctly e.g. character (caricter), sweet (sweit) happy (happi) people (peple) I've tried many different stratgeties. Spellings , look and learn. Can anyone advise of some other learning techniques that I could apply.

2. Senco84

Senco84 New commenter

Sounds like teaching to the phonological gaps might help. Read write phonics is good for that.

3. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

You may not sort everything but going for the most likely spelling (e.g. sweet & happy) would be good. Happi is poor when you check out really unlikely spellings you see in the writing - we have many words ending in y and so few ending in i; similarly ee is so common for that sound! If the errors are likely choices and easy to read, that is at least something... https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/vowel-sounds-letter-names-english-stress-widgit-6054664 attempts to highlight some of this. I love Diane McGuinness' book on what to do about reading failure.

4. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Learning to spell takes years. What are your aims for the short term for this pupil? Are you wanting to cover, for example, the spelling requirements of the new national curriculum for English?

I have just discovered the sweebles spelling app which is brilliant for creating your own personal spelling lists. You type in and record each word you want the child to practise. They need the phonic knowledge too. Happi is the only thing that looks odd in the list for a year 6 to be writing - although still phonic ally plausible as are the rest.

Do you have more examples? What is their reading like? The content of their writing and speaking? Their verbal comprehension?