1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coeliac disease?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by drinewinker, Jan 19, 2012.

1. drinewinker

drinewinker New commenter

Hi everyone, I'm a relatively new poster on here (although I have been lurking for quite a while!) and would like to hid behind anonymity for my slightly embarrassing problem... it's a bit crude, sorry....

Since the start of November I have had diarrhea (quite badly at times) and chronic wind. In fact, the wind has got so bad lately that it's becoming rather painful and very hard to conceal. I'm awaiting blood tests and a hospital check at the moment but I've been looking at the symptoms online and coeliac disease comes up quite a lot.

Does anyone suffer with it and would mind telling me what living with it is like and how you control it? I'd be very grateful.

2. drinewinker

Hi everyone, I'm a relatively new poster on here (although I have been lurking for quite a while!) and would like to hid behind anonymity for my slightly embarrassing problem... it's a bit crude, sorry....

Since the start of November I have had diarrhea (quite badly at times) and chronic wind. In fact, the wind has got so bad lately that it's becoming rather painful and very hard to conceal. I'm awaiting blood tests and a hospital check at the moment but I've been looking at the symptoms online and coeliac disease comes up quite a lot.

Does anyone suffer with it and would mind telling me what living with it is like and how you control it? I'd be very grateful.

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Wait for the results first.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Definitely!

5. most supermarkets have free from sections and you can get food on prescription too. yesterday at the M&S cafe i had a gluten free muffin. you can now get gluten free in many places.
    if you think you have food intolerances, try the private testing company called york test (google them) which uses a blood sample to look at reactions. i had this done years ago with some surprising results (coconut? cucumber? really?!) but changing my diet to avoid these foods made me a lot better. the other thing that is common and causes similar symptoms is candida albicans.
    wait and see what your GP says and if you're not happy with the suggestions then i'd go down the york test route.
    good luck

6. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Most people who have IBS have considered or been tested for Coeliac.

7. drinewinker

Thanks for all your replies. I've still not heard back from my blood tests - I am a rather impatient patient I'm afraid! Hopefully won't be long now but it seems to getting worse each day.