1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coding est nova latina - postulo scio quid?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by magic surf bus, Jan 14, 2012.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

According to Google Translate, that's 'Coding is the new Latin - what do we need to know?'

Having taught myself BASIC in the late 70s enough to take a game program within a whisker of commercial release, and having learnt HTML in the late 90s sufficient to create a moderately successful website, and having worked with computers in the classroom solidly since 1982, I now face the conundrum of remaining employable as a KS3-4 Supply teacher for at least the next five years. Yesterday a member of SLT in the school where I'm currently working complimented me on some recent multimedia work I'd been doing, and asked 'What about Apps?' before the toner was barely dry on the Royal Society report.

I have some time and sufficient ICT background to engage in a bit more self-taught CPD, and would like to work with a new coding language. I've created and run a variety of websites in recent years and am thinking Javascript might be the way to go. Does that sound useful or is there a better way? I'm sure others must be pondering the same question.

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

According to Google Translate, that's 'Coding is the new Latin - what do we need to know?'

Having taught myself BASIC in the late 70s enough to take a game program within a whisker of commercial release, and having learnt HTML in the late 90s sufficient to create a moderately successful website, and having worked with computers in the classroom solidly since 1982, I now face the conundrum of remaining employable as a KS3-4 Supply teacher for at least the next five years. Yesterday a member of SLT in the school where I'm currently working complimented me on some recent multimedia work I'd been doing, and asked 'What about Apps?' before the toner was barely dry on the Royal Society report.

I have some time and sufficient ICT background to engage in a bit more self-taught CPD, and would like to work with a new coding language. I've created and run a variety of websites in recent years and am thinking Javascript might be the way to go. Does that sound useful or is there a better way? I'm sure others must be pondering the same question.

3. If you can program (and I'm talking my own fairly amateur skill set of assignment (x = x+ 1), iteration (loops) and selection (if) with a bit of file handling and console input/output) then the syntax is a fairly minor hurdle. Arguments on which languages, platforms, environments, etc. abound - and will do so for some time.

VB still seems popular, Python is not unheard of, likewise Javascript (which has the advantage of being useful particularly for web apps).

One of the first thing I show students in any language is how to access the API or get further help on syntax, available functions, etc. I openly admit to students that I forget syntax, put semi-colons where they shouldn't and so on (because I'll spend an hour doing Java with 6th form, then walk into a lesson using Python, followed by doing some Javascript of my own at CodeAcademy).

It sounds to me like your programming skills are fine. CSS wasn't mentioned there and that's a useful old skill, but you could do worse than picking up the OCR GCSE spec and making sure you're familiar with all the theory concepts (fetch-execute, truth tables, binary/hex/denary conversion, etc...).

If that's all safe and sound then have a look at the Computing At School Curriculum (as endorsed by MS and Google no less!)