1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coastal Landforms

Discussion in 'Geography' started by ogerafred, Nov 4, 2019.

1. ogerafred

ogerafred New commenter

Which is efficient way of teaching Coastal erosion features....

2. SkernLodge

SkernLodge New commenter

Hi, a practical technique that I use with students on fieldwork visits is to arrange them in a shoulder-to-shoulder line to create a newly-exposed coastline and then assign different sections of students a different type of rock (e.g sandstone, shale, etc). I explain that the coastline will be eroded by processes (me!), and that certain types of rock will react differently. Along with assigning groupings of students a particular rock type, I also ask them to remember how many backwards steps to take when I say the word 'erosion' - soft rocks take two steps back, hard rocks one step. After playing out a few thousand years of 'erosion', students have backstep enough to have formed a discordant coast as a result of differential erosion - complete with headlands of hard rock and bays of soft. This practical demonstration goes down well with younger and older years alike, especially when out at a coastal environment where you can then relate observable landmarks to student positioning (e.g "Lucy and James, as the Hartland headland you have a lighthouse balancing on heads. Jacob, David, and Jess, as a sandy Westward Ho! bay you are covered in holidaymakers enjoying ice cream!").