1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Coaching or mentoring

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by minimo, Jan 21, 2009.

1. How would you describe the difference ?

Coaching-teaching someone how to do something, showing them, telling them how ? Imposing your ideas ?

Mentoring-supporting someone in doing something, watching over them, helping them, guiding them ? letting them have their own ideas ?

2. Both coaching and mentoring are about an expert and a novice working together. But I feel that mentoring is more about giving advice and guidance whereas coaching is about giving instructions and the situation may well dictate the approach. Therefore mentoring is appropriate with student teachers because the way we teach is influenced by our personalities as well as who and what we teach. I would add that those being mentored should already have relevant knowledge about the situation whereas those being coached may be absolute beginners. But I suspect others may well disagree.

3. I don't think coaching means telling people what to do. I think coaching is helping people to come up with their own ideas for improvement through probing questions eg after observations, observee sets areas to be developed through conversations with coach who may guide their decisions.

4. I was thinking of coaching in broader terms such as football coaching with young children, where I think instructions are appropriate. Having a deep and meaningful conversation with a group of 8 year olds on a Saturday morning about kicking a football could well be a waste of time.

6. The coaching model we use, Egan's I think, is nothing to do with any telling or imposing. The process, in a nutshell, consists of three parts. The first the client tells their story, in the second they describe their preferred scenario and the third creates outcomes that allow progress from the current scenario to the preferred scenario.

It is an extremely powerful and empowering tool if used well. Being a coach is about facilatating a situation where the client reflects on what they are doing and where they want to go. The role of the coach is to help the client see any 'blind spots' in their perceptions and to help set objectives for growth.Self created objectives are far more likely to be met than imposed ones.

Mentoring, to me, is a role that is more apprentice/craftsman. More sharing of knowledge and experience.

7. A good answer Mr C

I use the Grow model - same as Egans I think.

G oal Setting
    R eality checking
    O ptions
    W hat is to be done, When, by Whom and the Will to do it.

I think its a very powerful tool not just for staff but also personal development.

8. I like this simple example

I want to ride a bike. Which professional should I go to for support?

Chose a?

Consultant - to work out which bike to ride

Therapist ? to help you get over the fear and actually get on the thing

Mentor ? to teach you how they have ridden the bike and model how you might like to do so yourself

Coach ? to put you on the bike, help you pedal and then run along side as you get the job done

9. Hello,
    I was searching messages on Coaching on TES and came across yours. I am thinking of training to be a youth coach, as a career progression or add-on skill.
    Have you got the time to help me out with a couple of questions?
    I am wondering if The Coaching Academy is any good or just a very expensive pyramid sceheme ... have you any knowledge of them at all, personally or through colleagues?
    Have you found it straight forward or very difficult to get schools on board with coaching and paying for it?

Many thanks

Sue
    famleeee@aol.com