1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Co-headships could attract more women into school leadership roles, campaigners say

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Dec 14, 2015.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Could co-headships really hold the key to attracting more women into senior leadership roles in schools?

Has your school helped you in securing your senior leadership role because of flexible working or other forms of professional support?

Have you been dissuaded from taking on senior roles because of the lack of support offered in your school?

https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...ld-attract-more-women-school-leadership-roles

2. paeony

paeony Occasional commenter

I was told in no uncertain terms that part time means losing TLR and no chance of responsibility until I was full time again, school policy.

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I think the old hierarchical ideas do struggle. Today's headteacher HAS to be someone prepared to work 60-70 hour week. The job is that big. This means that the pool is naturally limited to those prepared to or able to work what is pretty much a workaholic's timetable.

In my institution we have flatter leadership structures with small teams of equally ranked staff taking on traditional single person leadership roles. We simply carve the separate components up into what our skills suit and join them all together to 'lead'. Why could two or three staff members not agree to share the role of a HT between them and divide the TLR component up between them. This would lead to less instability when you get a weak leader or regular churn.

4. paeony

paeony Occasional commenter

Completely agree.

I was slightly incredulous as to why two seconds in department couldn't carry on just splitting the role between us, but hey, why have 15 years of (now part time) teaching experience do it when you can give it to someone just out their nqt year?

When do much of the teaching workforce is female, and the job of head ships is so huge it makes total sense to break it down like that.

5. pholland

pholland New commenter

On return from maternity leave, I was told part SLT position in secondary was not an option. I see job sharing at SLT level working in primary schools but in secondary it is not considered an option. Very hard to go back to step 1 because I put my family first. I was told to wait once my children were older, then I can always return to senior leadership. I don't think female leaders who have spent years developing their skills should have to take a step backwards because of the inflexibility of secondary school leadership/budgets.