1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Co-headship

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by theictdungeon, Mar 10, 2019.

1. theictdungeon

theictdungeon New commenter

Hi
    Has anyone had any experience of a co-headship? There is one advertised locally and wondered whether it would be a good idea for a first headship or not. It's 0.6 headship with 0.4 teaching and the current head will be in the role for 0.4 of the time. It's two schools too to make it even more complicated!

2. Nowayout

Nowayout New commenter

Hmmm- not had experience of it but I’m not sure how easy it would be.

The absolutely crucial aspect to it working would be a really superb relationship between the two headteachers. So I guess visiting the school in the first instance would give you an idea as to whether this could work .

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Sounds like the existing head may be stepping down to part time in preparation for retirement. There are many examples of successful co-headship about, but I would be wary of one where the other co-head has been in post full time for a long time and is "much loved" (or "much feared"!). If that's what's happening here. Anecdotally they may find it hard to treat you as an equal and continue to behave as if they are the "real head". So finding out how you would work with them, both formal structures and your mutual understandings of the role should be a first step.

And if the current head is winding down to retirement what happens when s/he goes? Will governors revert to a sole head? Would you want that?

simonCOAL likes this.
  4. cleobud

cleobud New commenter

I've been a co-head previously. I was new and shared with the existing head. If this will be your first headship, I would say it would be great experience. However, I think the difficulty will be when you are class teaching and the other head is the head, while you are in a position of teacher. You will be there every day so are likely to get involved in things you started or were involved with continuing on your teaching days. I managed a year before going it alone and actually find many aspects easier, although it was a good grounding for a first headship.
    I think being in the 2 roles would have been too contradictory for me, but that's just my view.
    Good luck with your decision.
    If you go for it, check the contract, as it is sometimes dependent on the other person, if they resign your job may be at risk too.

simonCOAL likes this.
  5. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Good point.

Several interesting points for you to consider have been raised here. Good luck with your decision.

6. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

Co-headship can work and I have seen it work well. Key is that the two HTs have exactly the same expectations when dealing with staff, children and parents. This way it avoids the "I'll wait till Friday to ask for that as that one will say yes and the other no"

My main concern with the model outlined is that this role would entail the co-head in essence being your boss on the two days they are in school. What if they had issues with your teaching? What if you had wildly different views and they were "on your back" the two days you were not HT?

Pomza and Rott Weiler like this.
  7. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Sounds best avoided to me...

8. theictdungeon

theictdungeon New commenter

A big thank you to everyone for your thoughts. As has been said, lots of interesting points to consider. I am going to visit the school to get a feel for the role.