1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Co-chairing

Discussion in 'Governors' started by Dumoe, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Dumoe

Dumoe New commenter

Hello, does anyone have any information on co-chairing of school governing boards beside what's available on the NGA website or maybe point me towards resources that could help with this please.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The NGA guidance runs to 4 pages and is pretty thorough (here, but only accessible if your school has NGA membership). I've not come across anything more detailed than this.

What is it you want to know more about?

What prompts your question?

nomad likes this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The Governance Handbook says:

It is possible to appoint more than one person to share the role of chair, or similarly the role of vice chair, if the board believes this is necessary and in the best interests of the school.

The board would need to ensure that any role-sharing arrangement does not lead to a loss of clarity in its leadership.

This is set out in paragraph 31 in section 4.2.1 of the handbook, which is published by the Department for Education (DfE).

There is some information on The Key for Governors web site but I doubt that it is any better than that found on the NGA site.

4. visio

visio New commenter

Urgent. Application to close tomorrow, 31/4/2019.

Are there similar co-sharing posibilities for other governors? Can two people co/job-share roles? Looking at co-sharing an upcoming secondary school student governor position. It can take various possible forms. Complete share/involvement, termly, absence cover or by a year at a time/agreed handover. Any voting will be given only one vote between them, which they weill understsand beforehand. Are there any regulations preventing this? Any precedents of it occuring? I'd imagine there must be.

Thanks.