1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cluless about Talent show!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by seemasirpal85, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Doing my first ever 'talent show' next term and not quite sure where to start... Do I let everyone audition who wants to? How do I chose best ones without hurting others feelings? Should I make a big deal out of it and invite parents? Should I make it a competition or just a show? Sorry, just very confused.com!

2. Doing my first ever 'talent show' next term and not quite sure where to start... Do I let everyone audition who wants to? How do I chose best ones without hurting others feelings? Should I make a big deal out of it and invite parents? Should I make it a competition or just a show? Sorry, just very confused.com!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I thought this was a "Clueless about talent" show - I could happily have entered that.
    At my old school, we had a talent night. It was really good - I think we had lots of people auditioning and I can't quite remember how the teacher picked them. We had a range of "talent" - mainly singing. We had a competition - a judges vote and a parent vote. It was really bad how we did the parents vote - basically the parents voted with money for each child and the child with the most money won!!! Some parents put a lot of cash in for their child!!
    But the person who won the judges' vote was really good. She had low self esteem in class but her singing was fantastic. I was so pleased she won. I was one of the panel - we had to act in the style of X-factor judges.
    The night was really really good. The parents really enjoyed it.

4. We hold one in the summer term, each class holds auditions, children decide if they want to enter, and then have a whole school show with a panel of judges. These are not attached to the school and they decide on winner. We do not have the room to invite parents.

5. Quite a few questions here.....
    If you have time for more than one 'Show' then I would let every child thats want to audition, have a go.
    I would make a huge deal out of it. Posters up, letters out, parents invited, papparazzi on the day of the audition.
    I would personally make it a competition - the children will get completely behind it. Simply use judges not linked to the pupils - a local radio DJ, Council Entertainments Manager, Local Singer / Band Member etc etc - they can then make a fair decision.
    You will nearly always find some project that the council is running that the winner(s) can perform at - Switching on the Xmas lights, for example - you'll get a load of great free press for the school as a result.
    I have organised, compered and DJ'd many Talent Show's - I enjoyed them almost as much as the kids enjoyed them. The talent you will 'find' will be awesome. Have fun. Enjoy![​IMG]