1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Club ideas????

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon1359, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Has anyone got some good suggestions for a club I can run this year? We have lots of clubs already and I'm really fed up with the one I've been allocated for years (country dancing), so I'd like to propose a new one to the head. We have masses of sporty clubs, several musical ones, people already run cookery, history, gardening, ICT and art (and I'm useless and unimaginative at art anyway), so something really different would be great. I may be able to have the hall, or could run it in the classroom. Any ideas, please?
    PS The age group I'm allocated is Years 2 & 3

2. Has anyone got some good suggestions for a club I can run this year? We have lots of clubs already and I'm really fed up with the one I've been allocated for years (country dancing), so I'd like to propose a new one to the head. We have masses of sporty clubs, several musical ones, people already run cookery, history, gardening, ICT and art (and I'm useless and unimaginative at art anyway), so something really different would be great. I may be able to have the hall, or could run it in the classroom. Any ideas, please?
    PS The age group I'm allocated is Years 2 & 3

3. Why is the head dictating the club you run and to whom? You do not have to run a club if you don't want to (although I know this is generally an expectation and so pressure is on the teacher to run a club) - so if you decide to give up your free time you should be able to do what you want. At the end of the day - it's your free time.
    To be more positive and answer your question - what about a board games club? Ask the head for some money to buy some games.

4. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

Why not ask the children? Ours came up with some of their own ideas which meant they really wanted to get involved. What about something like lego/model making? Easy to organise and lots of things you can do with it.

5. We don't HAVE to run a club Irulan, and I got stuck with country dancing when I voluteered to help the teacher who had run it for years who then retired and it sort of became a habit. Quite a few staff don't run clubs, but if you volunteer the DH cooordinates it so we get a vairety of clubs for a variety of year groups. The school's concern was lots of staff were offering clubs, organising it themselves and the office didn't know what was going on when parents phoned. Also lots of staff offered clubs for Upper KS 2 and the DH wanted to make sure all year groups got something.
    I like the idea of asking the children. Lego and board games would really suit me. I'm always knackered by the end of the day and something energetic would send me straight home to bed!

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

7. I like the idea of board games. Want to do this when I finish my NQT year. Really think these are good for developing social skills also helps with maths and literacy skills too!

You can get some cheap board games from charity shops and bootsales that are in good condition (kids tend to stick to xbox's ect at home as they don't have anyone to play with often).

8. Lego was very popular at our school and they used to do mini challenges, eg how many different things can you build with 25 bricks? who can build the strongest tower/bridge? I think there is also some stuff on-line you can use. Apart from that construction club is also easy, use reception classroom, get out the construction toys, tidy up, go home!!!

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Why wait that long? Do it as a winter club or something and start after Oct half term and run it until Feb half term. Then you get a half term to settle in and then finish before all the hassle of reports and the like.

Board games is fab.

Lego and Knex both run national championships, so you could get involved in those via the club. And they give you free stuff if you enter, or they used to.

10. I've thought about running a schools newspaper club this year - published monthly. If you have some competant Y5 6 who can use Publisher, this may be quite easy to run (...famous last words!...)
    I have run an Eco Schools Club before and you can achieve the Bronze Award relatively easily, though this comes with a word of warning, as we did eventually end up working towards the Green Award, which was a lot of work.

11. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Eco Schools is a crock of ****, you just log in and say, Yes we've done it and you get the badge.
    Really it doesn't matter what you run, as parents will sign up for it, because they get an extra kiddy-free hour in Sainsbury's.
    Try these:

Middle English
    Cross Dressing
    Poker
    Ping Pong
    Self Hypnosis
    Get your Child Into Oxbridge
    Train your Dog to Fetch
    Understand your Parent

Whatever you choose, you are guaranteed to have a full register...