1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Clouderisation

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by DEmsley, May 4, 2012.

1. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Probably not a word but hey, it's friday!

Right I'm looking for a new way to really brass off my network manager and I thought Cloud storage.
    So there are two main options I need to consider:
    • Google's SkyDrive
    • DropBox
    Both are free, both give 5Gb+ free. Both require log ins.

I get the funny feeling this thread will invite two different responses:
    • One is great the other is pants
    • Why bother?
    Students forgetting work, I did it at home... etc is the main reason.

Would you advise students to install it at home and access it remotely from school, or the school install the client software - which is going to mean a HUGE upload during lessons.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks
    Dave

2. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Probably not a word but hey, it's friday!

Right I'm looking for a new way to really brass off my network manager and I thought Cloud storage.
    So there are two main options I need to consider:
    • Google's SkyDrive
    • DropBox
    Both are free, both give 5Gb+ free. Both require log ins.

I get the funny feeling this thread will invite two different responses:
    • One is great the other is pants
    • Why bother?
    Students forgetting work, I did it at home... etc is the main reason.

Would you advise students to install it at home and access it remotely from school, or the school install the client software - which is going to mean a HUGE upload during lessons.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks
    Dave

3. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I encourage all my students to use dropbox, we also use it for things like OCR nationals so kids can stick their websites live on the net without having to buy a URL or use ftp. We don't put client software on becasue we have had lots of problems with proxy settings and then when they try and sync with user drives, dropbox won't allow to use on network shares.
    mainly it's used for back up purposes though and transfer of docs to and from school, not comfortable with the concept of using as the main repository of kids work just yet.

4. I recommend Dropbox though we also access it through a browser - this seems super-efficient so why bother with client software.
    I have enjoyed the boost of many free 250Mb and now 500Mb boosts from kids taking up my invitation. I quite like the new built in Android syncing features but that will have limited street appeal since it seems kids still use Blackberrys
    Lots of 'em also use Skydrive - you can't argue with the space and I use mine when kids send work to me - I can edit it by making comments etc and then send it straight back in the browser which I find pretty useful at home.
    No experience of the Google one - have it but haven't tried it - the existing facilities seem so useful now that I wonder what Google will bring to the table?

5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I would say dropbox as it is device/OS blind and, crucially keeps a local copy of your files on your computer. Also Microsoft have too much history in either turning off back- up and online features, or making them incompatible with changes to their OS.

6. http://sparkleshare.org/
    A 3rd option? I love the idea of school based personal clouds in the current climate!

7. Dropbox gets my vote. Really easy to use, very convenient and not used a pen drive in months. I still take the odd backup of Dropbox using Googledrive, though. You never know ....

8. We use drop box, (middle school) simply easy and if yr5 can use it, I'm positive A level could!

9. It's worth keeping in mind that Dropbox now supports drag and drop into a browser window as long as you are using FireFox, Chrome or Safari.
    http://thenextweb.com/apps/2012/04/06/dropbox-for-the-web-gets-drag-and-drop-support-for-chrome-firefox-and-safari/
    Unfortunately this feature does not work with Internet Explorer yet, but does simplify uploading files/folders if you are using one of the other browsers as it removes the need for the client software.
    Another new feature is the link feature. This provides you with a link to a file or folder in your Dropbox. You can email the link to other people who then get read only access to the file. The realy nice thing is that, for many files (especially video files) you do not need the original software. Word documents, spreadsheets, videos etc are rendered directly in the browser window. The person you have sent the link to can download the file to get a local copy, but they cannot edit or otherwise mess up your original.
    I'm up to 12.5GB of free storage now but then I do somewhat abuse my position as a teacher by insisting that any student who forgets their memory stick has to accept an invitation from me for a Dropbox account! [​IMG]

10. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

DEmsley I love that word!

Clouderisation!

Personally am so clouderised that I don't care if any particular machine breaks any more (apart from the expense of replacing!)

11. We use Dropbox at school and find it really useful. We also use Microsoft's SkyDrive and find this great as well. Ideally, at school we would like a VLAN but this is wishful thinking.

12. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

@Casy please note Clouderisation(c) DEmsley ALL RIGHTS RESERVED [​IMG]
    Personally I do use dropbox and I'm glad to see it gets a lot of support and use in other schools.
    Cheers

13. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

Apple have probably beaten you to it,
    I can't believe that they wouldn't have a patent on making up words out of other words and letters and stuff

14. Well, a quick internet search using Google showed yours and this one:

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/post/1048986

(Apologies for not putting the appropriate tags around the link to make it nicer)