1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Clothes for my skinny 14 year old

Discussion in 'Personal' started by perdita, Aug 2, 2011.

1. I'm having problems finding jeans/casual trousers for my average height/skinny 14 year old son. Trousers in the kids section of shops like Next are now too short for him, but anything in the men's section is far too big.
    Does anybody know of a shop that sells men's trousers for a relatively trendy but rather slender 14 year old.

2. I'm having problems finding jeans/casual trousers for my average height/skinny 14 year old son. Trousers in the kids section of shops like Next are now too short for him, but anything in the men's section is far too big.
    Does anybody know of a shop that sells men's trousers for a relatively trendy but rather slender 14 year old.

3. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

4. You could try River Island. I know they do a girls kids/teens section, don't know about boys though.....

5. Interesting idea. Hadn't thought of there. We're going shopping tomorrow so we'll have a look.

6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Established commenter

I've had exactly the same problem but at least my son isn't too tall so I can buy him (at age 19) Next's age 15 trousers and the waist is nearly small enough! Until recently his waist was 24". Since he went to university he's put on a litle bit of weight and is nearer to a normal size for his age and height.
    Some H&M trousers fit my son, though not all by any means. Top Shop do some very small waists but they can be a bit pricey. I've seen some small waist trousers in TKMax too. If you have one near you it's worth going in for a look when you're nearby to see what they've got. For concert trousers I get Asda or Tesco boys' school trousers which are pretty nasty but look okay for plain black.
    Other than that he has a lot of nice belts!

7. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure if they have a teens section, but we'll have a look tomorrow. We've tried Top Man but their 26inch waist trousers are too big.

8. Doitforfree

All my boys have been quite skinny and finding trousers has been difficult at some point. Maybe there's a business opportunity...

9. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I have rarely been slim enough for Muji clothes.
    Last time I was in there I was 10-8 5'11" and too fat.
    I have given up on their clothes.

10. Oooh I didn't realise Next did trousers for that age - our local branch seems to stop at age 12.

11. Doitforfree

We have a Next outlet near us and I always have a look when I'm there. I can usually get some jeans for a couple of pounds. They don't have a lot in the older boys' clothes but luckily my son's not too fussy what i get him (though whether I should still be buying him clothes at 19 is another question!).

12. Hmmm noe that's an interesting idea. I think we could also cater for teens with narrow feet. (haven't started the trauma of looking for school shoes yet!)[​IMG]

13. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Gap used to do some with hidden elastication in the waist. Not brilliant but at least they fitted a very slim son. Not sure they fitted him at 14; at some point he decided to go 'low slung' to solve the problem!

14. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Occasional commenter

15. vannie

vannie Lead commenter

I order for my snake hipped boy online. The jeans are generally quite long and do have the hidden elasticated waist.
    For me the problem is the sheer rate of growth at this age (13). No sooner have I bought trousers than they seem to be flapping around his ankles.
    Trying to encourage him to think of some of last years trousers as 3/4 length so I don't need to buy new for his holidays. Needless to say he is not entirely convinced.
    Its a *** and no mistake!

16. I had this problem with both my boys; there is definitely a gap in the market! My skinny 17 year old has holes in ALL his jeans atm and we are putting off shopping for new because it is such a chore. We are claiming that the holes are designer;)

17. vannie

vannie Lead commenter

Oh yes the holes!
    Bought 'skinny' jeans for my son six weeks ago - he had to have them as they were the only trousers he would wear that fit his newly dark 'emo' personality.
    Came home from a few days at my mothers - jeans now have 'artful' holes which start at suspiciously the same place below each knee.
    Cuh! Thirty quid! Now he wants some red ones. Going to make him save up.

18. yes same problem here - my boys are tall and very thin and when children's trousers became too short - we were stuck. ASDA do quite a good selection - their adult trousers start at size 30 and they also do an XS range of shirts and tops - all quite cheap, which is good as they grow daily!

19. henriette

henriette New commenter

Primark go down to a size 28" waist which fit my skinny beanpole of a 14 year old by sitting nicely on his coathanger hips.

20. Hit TKMax today - without Teenage Monster - and bought some 28" waists, because 30" slither off his hips. 28 is now too small. so does 29 exist? Thank goodness for TKMax's returns policy; back tomorow!