1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

clothes categories

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Greenhousegirl, May 15, 2011.

1. A colleague of mine claims that everything in her wardrobe is suitable for wearing to school so she never has any difficulty deciding what to wear.
    I have the following categories
    1- clothes for posh social occasions eg weddings
    2-clothes to wear to school
    3-home clothes eg jeans
    4- slobby home clothes
    5-allotment clothes
    Maybe that is why my wardrobe never seems big enough.
    How many categories of clothes do you have?

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

1. School clothes
    2. Posh evening clothes
    3. Posh daytime clothes (eg wedding)
    4. Home clothes (slobby)
    5. Home clothes (can be seen in at supermarket)
    6. Beach clothes.
    7. PJ collection
    8. Clothes waiting to be slimmed into
    9. Clothes that need ironing
    10. Clothes that I have never worn but might sell on Ebay one day.

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

<ol>[*]Clean clothes[*]Not so clean clothes</ol>
    Being a man is cool

4. Everyday - too big but comfy and well-loved and I'm loathe to part with them.
    Everyday - Stuff I wear normally
    Everyday - just a little small but I'll ge tinto them soon.
    Everyday - but relatively new so I try and get away with calling them 'posh'
    Posh - rarely worn. often bought for me by well-meaning people who want to dress me according to their tatse.

In my defence I don't work, so don't need special 'work' clothes. And my 'Everyday' has improved from a few years ago - I now wear long skirts and colours other than black/brown/navy. Most of the material is 'soft' - jersye type because I hate 'scratchy' material (it's my Aspieness).

5. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I must be a closet man then. My school/weekend/going out clothes are interchangeable.

6. Work stuff

Slob stuff

Stuff I bought once for something then have not worn again
    Stuf that stays in the suitcase for the holidays

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Clothes to wear.

8. There's quite a bit of overlap between my work and my home clothes.
    I also have a few bits of posh stuff for weddings/parties.
    Plus a bag of summer clothes, shorts, vests and beach dresses.

9. Mine and yours.
    You wouldn't be seen dead in mine.

10. 'Only for extremely hot days' clothes (with a subsection of dresses that are 'only for very hot and not at all windy days') (br/)
    (br/)
    Clothes that are really my husband's but which have somehow found their way into my wardrobe(br/)
    (br/)
    Clothes that I love - but which my husband hates so I don't get to wear all that often(br/)
    (br/)
    Clothes that are waiting to be taken up so I can't wear them yet(br/)
    (br/)
    ...Never realised I have so many clothes! Hurrah!

11. I am quite like that - I don't *do* slobby.
    All of my clothes are multi-functional.

12. jeswes

jeswes New commenter

I have clothes that start off as non work clothes and then after a while I relegate them to work clothes. I hate buying clothes specifically for work it feels like a waste so this is a good compromise!

13. I would never relegate clothes as merely for work! I like dressing with care every day. When some clothes are too *eveningy*, I dress them down with chunky woollens, black tights and chunky necklaces. New clothes are not kept for special occasions but are used.
    I loathe ephemeral fashion stuff, preferring to mix good vintage with Hobbs, Boden, Jigsaw and so on.

14. i am the opposite

I buy for work and then relegate to weekend

Apart from jeans that are just casual

15. I forgot 1 more category. Clothes waiting to be dry cleaned. This category only contains 1 item, a dress that has been waiting at the bottom of the wardrobe for more than 2 years! Is this a record? Shamingly I live within 500m of a dry cleaners.

16. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

1. home clothes
    2. work clothes
    3. party clothes
    4. posh clothes (subset, interview clothes, although this does cause me some trauma, as do not wish to turn up to interview more expensively dressed than interviewers)
    5. small selection of decorating clothes (very rarely worn for gardening - after all, what is a washing machine for?)
    6. (rarely worn) PE clothes
    7. outdoor pursuit/camping/performance clothes
    8.can I include winter/summer?
    9. Love the fact that someone has a whole set for pjs!
    10. shooooooooooooooooes and booooooooooooots........ahhhhhhhhhhhh
    PS I try to have a price limit on clothes I wear for school - I don't want to get my bets stuff wrecked by a paintbrush wielding 9 year old! (although, once you discover a store/catalogue that suits, nothing else fits....!)

17. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Apart from 10 Shoes and boots I agree with this list. I never feel right going out anywhere in clothes I wear for work. I tend to relegate my better weekend clothes for work after a while. I do dress better for work normally as I only wear jeans at weekend unless going out.

18. My wardrobe is a bit like that. I tend to go for classic separates or tailored dresses and suits anyway.
    The exception is the stuff that I wear to perform in (which doubles as more dressy going-out-with-husband-clothes) and my wedding dress. I'd look a bit of a numpty dressed in full evening gown/wedding gown to teach the ins and outs of, say, Rock 'n' Roll!

19. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I definately do - partly because at work I am a different person (sort of) and I want to be seen as such. At home I am a mummy, and at work I am (I hope) a professional, and I try to dress that way. I also think that children have certain expectations of a (primary) teacher and how they should dress, and I try not to rock the boat too much and keep it fairly traditional and grown up. I did a little bit of experimenting with different classes to see if what I wore made a difference, and came to the (useful?!!) conclusion that it did with some, and not with others!!

20. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

PS there has always been a set of clothes I would never wear to work - I don't want them smelling of school!![​IMG]