1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

******** CLOSING *********

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TheoGriff, Mar 18, 2020.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

2. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Ooh blimey.

Curae likes this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not just closing , but 'until further notice'. Just mentioned possibility until end of July. Glad they seem to have some strategies for vulnerable children who need meals and those of key workers. :)

4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Dear Supply Teachers
    No more money.
    Let's take a stab-from now until end of October?
    O sh%t.
    You'll be ok.
    You really will.
    Write to all relevant parties stating your position, and keep everything you have for your immediate needs and your dependants.
    Wipe your arrus on your council tax bill which came through the door today stating that they have improved your services.
    Because there's no loo roll.
    And the timing of that letter is poor.
    Supply Teachers.
    You'll be ok.

5. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Exams not taking place in May/June. Will they just be cancelled?

6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Estimated grades?

tonymars and Morninglover like this.
  7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Part of me feels that as an ex-childminder I should perhaps be offering my services to local families, but the part that was driven out of child minding by Ofsted's nit-picking, ignorance and stupidity doesn't feel inclined to. A local childminder was recently shamed in the paper having got 'requires improvement' because of a minor admin oversight, even though it was ackowledged that she was a nice childminder. I feel very conflicted. I suppose if someone asks me I might do it. My husband's a raised risk because he has asthma so maybe it would be foolish anyway.

Alice K and smoothnewt like this.
  8. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Learning becomes experiential.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  9. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

More like 'All Must Have Prizes'. Which they deserve if we get through this.

10. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Have we got a description of vulnerable? I've not heard the update.

11. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

You realise you'll probably still be criticised, at your next inspections, for the lack of exam results and the absence rate!

12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It will be a very tricky problem because, in a normal year, the estimate for any candidate needing an aegrotat or special consideration is, in part, based on the accuracy of the school's estimates for those candidates who actually sat the exam (and, as a former principal examiner, I can tell you that some teachers are wildly over-optimistic). Without any candidates who have actually sat the exam, it will be very difficult to assess accuracy of estimates, other than by using historic data from previous years (which I guess is what will have to happen).

13. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

If all the supply work dries up there may be some supermarkets who need shelf-stackers during this time. They simply can't get the produce out fast enough.

14. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

Vulnerable includes those with EHCPs (Educations and Health Care Plans, formerly Statements) and those who have Social Workers so Looked After Children and some others at risk of harm

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Can supermarkets run the risk of using workers who been exposed to snotty-nosed, disease-ridden kids contaminating their existing staff with the virus?

16. SpideyClaire

SpideyClaire New commenter

This just came from the NASUWT

Members and teachers generally should be aware that there are common themes emerging from these announcements but with no detail as yet. These are that:
    • schools will be closed for pupils, except the children of key workers, but not for teachers and other staff;
    • schools will be repurposed to support vulnerable children and vulnerable members of communities;
    • teachers and other school staff will be considered as part of the public service workforce to enable them to support other provision either in school or beyond.

There is no definition of key workers’ children and how they will be identified. There is no detail of what other types of tasks teachers could be deployed to and there is no detail of whether all schools will be repurposed, or whether some will close and teachers and other staff will be expected to work out of schools which have been identified as community hubs.

Do our children now count as children of key workers and therefore attend schools?

17. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

Indeed schools are not really shut. Fully understand the needs for contingencies for key workers and the vulnerable but we have two days now to organise how this is going to work. School kitchens to stay open? Cleaners etc? They will still have to go in daily.

TheoGriff and Jamvic like this.
  18. klavender85

klavender85 Occasional commenter

Any word on private day nurseries?

19. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

So we will have children with EHCPs, children with social workers, children at risk of harm, children of key workers and 'vulnerable members of communities'. Could be quite a few then.

20. ms honey

ms honey Occasional commenter

I'm supply, might have to look at other possible jobs

Jamvic, Lara mfl 05 and TheoGriff like this.