1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Closing UK bank accounts

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by gulfgolf, Sep 21, 2020.

  1. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    Just reading the link for 10 seconds proves I do not pay taxes in the UK.

    I can drive a car in the UK as I have passed my driving test, not disqualified and have not reached 70 years of age. It is true the photograph on my driving licence will need to be replaced in 6 years, but my driving licence is still valid.

    I do drive in the US on my Chinese driving licence as I can save 30% on the cost using my Chinese Credit Card.
  2. salamandes

    salamandes New commenter

    This sounds exciting. Any further information or a link please with regards to the old 90 day rule? Thanks.
  3. phoenix-xx

    phoenix-xx New commenter


    Here are the current rules for working out UK tax residence. The line most likely to be applicable to most of us is:

    You’re automatically non-resident if either:
    - you spent fewer than 16 days in the UK (or 46 days if you have not been classed as UK resident for the 3 previous tax years)
    - you work abroad full-time (averaging at least 35 hours a week) and spent fewer than 91 days in the UK, of which no more than 30 were spent working

Share This Page