1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Closing the schools - what do we think ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Mar 12, 2020.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Will it happen ?

If so- when ?

Personally I hope they don't.

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The local authorities with which I work (as a clerk to governors) are speculating on either two weeks before the Easter break or one week either side, making total closure of a month.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

That's sort of what I've heard too.

agathamorse and nomad like this.
  4. AaronEbling

AaronEbling New commenter

Is this being discussed at the COBRA meeting this afternoon?

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The experience in Lombardy and Veneto when they closed schools was that parents simply took the opportunity to take their kids off on holiday, thus spreading Covid-19 to other areas and causing the huge outbreak of the virus in Italy. It is no panacea and to be effective would probably need draconian Chinese-style laws to keep families locked in their homes for the duration.

That doesn't mean it won't happen, simply that if it does it may not be effective without the public developing a different mindset. I suspect it may therefore be a last resort or - as in #2 and #3 above - more of a gesture to placate than anything else.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Let's hope so.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Selfishly, I'd quite like having my child home. And my husband - he works in the Scottish Parliament, and he thinks he might be invited to work from home, which could be easily done, up to a point.

CraigCarterSmith and caress like this.
  8. Owennnn

Owennnn Occasional commenter

It's a tough call, on the one hand, the amount of mixing and mingling that happens in schools and colleges provides a quick and easy method for viral spread. On the other, where are the students and staff going to go if not at school? Who is going to look after the students? Will their parents need to be off work too? Each school needs to find a way to enable distance learning, to avoid it just becoming an extra holiday.

At my college we are already setting up contingencies by uploading resources to our VLE so that in the event of a closure, students can work from home. This can be tracked and monitored by IT, and will be treated like attendance at any other lesson. In the same vein (vane?), staff will be expected to work from home to enable instruction and assessment of students VLE work.

BelleDuJour and Jesmond12 like this.
  9. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

I hope they (the government) make the decision based on the expert medical advice they have access to. I concur with the speculation that it will be two weeks before or a week either side of the Easter holidays but I find this jarring. Whilst this may be the best time, based on how the virus is spreading, it just feels a little too convenient that it fits in so nicely with the dates of an arbitary holiday.

Catgirl1964 and Scintillant like this.
  10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It's the impact on the workforce that is the most important downside of closing schools. Yes kids will still meet with their mates and hang around together, though overall at a much lower rate than if they were all in school together.

As it is an arbitrary holiday, perhaps the dates could just be moved to the most effective dates? and then extended if there is seen to be any benefit.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It'll have a small impact on my income as my working year in schools is coming to a close anyway. It'll have a more pronounced impact on Mrs MSB's income as she works year round, but if they close they close - we'll manage. As for whether it will slow the spread of the lurgy I have no idea. I suspect a major problem will be keeping kids cooped up at home, or with a carer. Whereas it's accepted that you spend all day in school I think it'll be less accepted that you spend all day in your house.

As for what people do with an extended holiday is anyone's guess. The format of the holiday will decide how much social contact people have. You could easily isolate yourself on a campsite that you've driven to, but it's not so easy in a hotel that you've flown to.

12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Blindingly obvious thing to do.

Should have been done already.

Time can be made up

The economy will recover.

Dead people are dead forever.

BTBAM85, vannie, bana_peters and 4 others like this.
  13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Too late by Easter.

14. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The long-term economic impact of breadwinners dying has to be factored into the thinking.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Given your high level of anxiety, are you doing /stopped doing anything over and above official advice?

17. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

Ireland have just announced the closure of all schools and nursery facilities because of the corona virus .
    As for the uk, the implications of school closures would be huge and I'm not sure for what benefit it would bring ?

18. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Indeed they have, and rumour has it that No10 has dismissed suggestions they will emulate Ireland.

19. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

The unintended consequences of school closures could be health workers (or other key workers) having to take time off to look after their children at home.

Laphroig and strawbs like this.
  20. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

No one has contemplated just how much of this Gov policies on the Public Services, NHS and drive toward 0 hour contracts for years has created a catastrophe waiting to happen upon the closure of schools

They will delay this for as long as humanly possible, Oor Dom will want us to try and grow Herd immunity,
    Old people and Sick be damned

stick that on a bus