1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Closing dates

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by liberty, Mar 3, 2016.

1. liberty

liberty New commenter

just wondering how long after a closing date you usually hear if you are successful about interview? I applied to a school that appeared to fit me almost perfectly but yet to hear anything. I know I won't hear if no interview but wondering if I should stop hoping? It has been a week now
    Thank you

2. mas_o_menos

mas_o_menos New commenter

I think it depends on the school. I've had a few requests come in over the past few weeks. Some were before the deadline, some immediately after and one was 2 weeks later.

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Ditto moody_bum. I had 2 invites to interview a week before the closing date, others more than a week after.
    Some of the more considerate schools will say either 'we may invite to interview prior to the closing date for most suitable candidates' or something like 'we hope to shortlist a week after closing date. If you do not hear by xx/xx/xx then please presume that you have been unsuccessful on this occasion'
    Mind you, even in these cases they may do different than they have stated.

4. liberty

liberty New commenter

Oh no, that's frustrating. I was out of the country until the day before the closing date so couldn't send everything in until the day it was closing I didn't realise they'd look at applications early

5. msmillreef

msmillreef New commenter

I'm glad you asked this question because this is exactly what I was wondering. I applied for a job and the deadline was a week ago and I'm sort of giving up hope.

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

It will very much depend on the school you are applying for, as well as the position. Schools can get 100's of applications for subjects like English, Humanities or Languages. Remember you and the rest of the world are applying. A week is not a very long time international terms. You may also want to consider that their public holidays maybe very different to the UK, or if its a more obscure country, then they may experiencing internet or power issues. Hope this helps.

7. liberty

liberty New commenter

Thank you for this . It is a school i had previously contacted and they emailed me to say they thought there was a position i might like to apply for - so i did and haven't even heard back. it just seems a little weird! i at least expected an interview but it is 2 weeks now so unfortunately it is unlikely. I am guessing they had hundreds of applicants and there were several jobs advertised at once but still…. Thanks for the responses

8. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Unfortunately there are some very weird practices when it comes to overseas schools, and regards recruitment in particular.

9. Dramakween

Dramakween Occasional commenter

Hi Liberty

I'm sorry you haven't heard back - very frustrating. This may sound obvious, but have you checked your junk email? I once found - completely by chance, looking for something else - an invitation to interview which had gone into junk without any logical reason. (Got it just in time and got the job). Worth checking every day when you've made an application.

Fingers crossed for you, and if this one comes to nothing, good luck next time round. Hang in there!

10. Dramakween

Dramakween Occasional commenter

Indeed!

11. liberty

liberty New commenter

thanks Dramakween, after the first week passed i have obsessively checked my junk mail - nothing! hopefully it didn't go in there first!