1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

close to jacking it all in

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by rainbow_gold, Mar 23, 2011.

1. rainbow_gold

rainbow_gold New commenter

Im a pgce student currently on my second and final placement. I love teaching and I have very supportive staff all around me, who say I'm generally doing well but i feel flat, useless and basically a failure.
    I've just had two horrendous lessons - swearing, arguing, bad attitudes, insults to my teaching skills and on and on and its just made me think maybe im not good enough for this.
    I'm trying all the strategies that i've observed, read about and followed advice from the other members of the department but nothing seems to be working - if anything I think things are getting worse as the kids hate me and want to wind me up. They will turn themselves around for the other members of staff (i know this might partly be to be with the fact that they know they are permanent staff members) so its obviously down to me that the kids are acting this way.
    Im exhausted and running out of ideas, the thought of facing these classes again tomorrow and bascially having another lesson where they learn nothing makes me want to cry.
    I guess all I'm posting for is a whinge really, but I just felt the need to let it all out. Will it get better? What am I doing wrong?
    thank you for reading

2. "They will turn themselves around for the other members of staff (i know this might partly be to be with the fact that they know they are permanent staff members)"
    Yes I think it is quite closely connected to the fact that they know they are permanent staff members, who have already had time to establish themselves.
    Most people's PGCE year is very challenging.

3. Give it time. It does get better.
    But you need to have a thick-skin. Never take it personally.

4. No matter how wonderful they are for their permanent teachers, the fact that they are willing to turn into little monsters when they think they can get away with it, doesn't say much for the depth of the social development they're getting ... from either teachers or parents, does it.

5. Your pgce is a very tough year. Don't give up. It takes time to have presence in a class. Never be over friendly with the children. I have been teaching a long time. Trust me. As you gain experience your confidence and classroom presence will grow. Children actually like rules and definite boundaries. Dont waver from the standards you set but as i say this all takes time to establish with every class you teach. Dont shout . Speak in a firm steady voice. Walk around the class at all times .Ensure no children are out your sight. Poorly behaved children should be put to the back of the class where they attract less attention. Give it time. You will teach many children in your career and have better experiences.

6. Learning to be a teacher is hard work.Theories and books cannot prepare you for the realities out there. Each school is different-all pupils are different. Just think that some day in the future you will the the teacher in charge and some poor PGCE STUDENT WILL BE STANDING WHERE YOU ARE TODAY! I AM ALMOST AT THE 30 YEAR END OF MY CAREER AND WON'T CHANGE IT ,sorry about capital letters not shouting only forgot to change text size. pupils respect fairness and honestly and be calm.A noisy teacher makes a noisy class.Hang in

7. baitranger

baitranger Occasional commenter

Exactly vehar.
    They are not well behaved - they just look as if they are sometimes. The real test of whether their normal teachers have improved their behaviour is whether they are able to be polite with strangers and teachers like the op.

8. Well, I'm glad it's not just me feeling rubbishy atm.

Hold on to these three things:
    1) It does get better.
    2) We're nearly NQTs.
    3) Experienced teachers once felt like we do.

9. Hi Rachel
    Sorry to hear about your struggles. I won't repeat some of the excellent advice you have already recieved here but I will contribute one thought; Try to remember its a marathon not a sprint. It does getter better (albeit slowly) over time :) It wont change over night but day by day, slowly but surely, the class will eventually start to come around.
    I hope that helps. Good luck! :)

10. Hi, thinking back to my own first year or so of teaching, it was very much of a roller coaster ride; going from elation at a great lesson one day to the pits of despair when it all went wrong again the next! There are a lot of skills to be learned when you become a teacher and it doesn't happen overnight. It WILL get better, honest! Stick with it!

11. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Hope things are getting better for you. So many new teachers have a hard time, especially in their first year. You are not alone- as I hope this forum shows.
    Good luck
    http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/

12. RaymondSoltysek

RaymondSoltysek New commenter

While I don't necessarily agree with putting it quite that way - it sounds like "blaming" yourself - I think Dave makes an interesting point that I would generally agree with.
    I think many teachers "blame" someone else, no matter how nebulous: the HT, the SLT, parents, "feral" kids, weak unions, "experts", PGCE courses, society in general. What I think that does is to dis-empower us, emasculate us: we live with the message that all these forces are arrayed against us and there's nothing we can do. We are, in fact helpless, and helplessness encourages atrophy, frustration and depression.
    First, I don't believe in ascribing blame. For me, there's a problem, so fix it. Forget about pointing fingers. And that's why Dave's message is, to me, actually very empowering.
    Change IS possible. You CAN make things better. It is your right to make the classroom what you want it to be. You may not be able to change society, but you CAN change what goes on in your classroom.
    And yes, it takes lots of reflection, lots of professional development, lots of trial and, sometimes, error. But don't be disheartened, and don't be tempted to fall into the comfortable trap of finding scapegoats because you're afraid of being scapegoated yourself. You are a well trained, intelligent, hard working, professional soon-to-be teacher - so be prepared to change, to adapt and to take the time to find new strategies to get the classroom you want.

13. I don't see what's negative about suggesting that support is equally as important as all the strategies that were recommended. I certainly didn't intend a 'negative' tone (sorry if my very mild remark has been interpreted as negative); I just meant that a supportive environment is crucial when someone is feeling as badly as the OP obviously is.
    Actually, the OP actually says that s/he is surrounded by a supportive staff... but judging by the rest of the post, it doesn't seem to have been a great help with the problems s/he outlines. Maybe we don't all mean the same thing by 'supportive'?

14. cleggy1611

cleggy1611 New commenter

I would get out while you're young enough to do it. I was going to pack it in before the end of offs but was persuaded to finish. One year led to another and I'm still in the classroom. It does get better but I still wouldn't say it's my dream job and I do regret not packing it in when I was younger. In the end it's up to you alone and how you feel about teaching for the rest of your working life. Sorry to sound miserable!

15. cleggy1611

cleggy1611 New commenter

Change offs to pgce!