1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Close shave

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Jul 15, 2015.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Ok, so this is a blatant begging post.

I'm going for the headshave in September to raise funds for MacMillan - so if there's anyone who feels they could donate a fiver or so please inbox me (can one still do that?) and I'll let you have the link.

(I can't do cakes, and marathons are out - too bliddy old - so this is my option.)

Thanks in advance to anyone who does contact me, and to the admins for not removing this TOO soon!

2. Can't you post a link on the thread??

3. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

I think you should take a less drastic course of action to show your support. You don't have to do something crazy to raise money for charity, you know.

4. monicabilongame

Yes I could post the link on the thread except that the link contains my name and we are not allowed to post anything that identifies ourselves.

5. monicabilongame

Except that it's not that crazy to do something in solidarity with people whose hair falls out because of chemo and who have to deal with the embarrassing stares and the sense of humiliation on top of a cancer diagnosis.

Anyone can make cakes. There is NO way you would get me doing a marathon. And anyway, it's only hair - it will grow back. I don't give a monkey's about what people think about what I look like - but I've known too many people affected (usually terminally) by cancer, and Macmillan do an amazing job of supporting them and their families. So I get to choose how I support them and everyone else gets to choose whether they support me in that effort.

Edited to include tags!

6. tidal

tidal New commenter

Also the reason I did the same many years ago (though not for a cancer charity)

And drastic things do raise more per head than baking cakes

7. monicabilongame

What did you do your shave for Tidal?

8. tidal

tidal New commenter

Leukaemia basically but also other immune diseases that required a "bubble" ward at a regional hospital and that was largely funded by public subscription

9. monicabilongame