1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cloning Questions in GCSE

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by ramaduds, Feb 21, 2011.

1. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

Am I right in thinking that the GCSE Applied Ethics (OCR Spec B) questions on Cloning are primarily to do with embryo research (sanctity of life) and the concept of being unique? Can pupils mention that many religious peolpe have no problem with e.g. plant cloning? I get the concept of stem cells and their actual/potential benefits, but most textbooks I've seen do not include much information. Is there something massive i'm missing, or am I over-complicating this topic?

2. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

which religion are you focusing on for the medical ethics topic?

3. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

Christianity

4. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

in that case keep it simple:
    • God responsible for all life. Humans shouldn't be.
    • Cloning humans = playing god?
    If you send me your email address I have some video clips that may be useful.

5. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

PS there will be tons more that you could cover but I've just finished a scheme of work so i'm a little brain-drained at the moment... [​IMG]

6. If the subset of cloning is in the topic of fertility treatment, then reproductive cloning is the only issue they will test on or credit. Plant cloning would only be relevant as a comparison, ie most christians would not support reproductive cloning as it denies the uniqueness of the human soul as made in the image of God, in contrast to plant cloning where there no unique soul is believed to be present. Ditto animal cloning.
    It is not sufficient to argue that all Christians believe that only God creates life so human's shouldn't, this is a viewpoint many hold but remember that some Christians will accept IVF using (only) the sperm and egg of the married couple, notwithstanding the risk of the possible wastage of embryo's which may result.
    I advise my students to write 'many' christians if in any doubt and 'most' if confident, 'all' will never be true!

7. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

Okay, so am I right assuming that a 6mark question on cloning should/could include:
    • Many Christians might be against human cloning because 'the Lord gives the Lord takes away' explain...
    • Sanctity of Life...with bible references explained
    • discuss uniqueness
    • Animals are different as they have no soul(explain) so some might allow this
    • However a few Christians might disagree and believe...
    • Although cloning could potentially be useful to humans because...
    So most Christians would allow the cloning of bone marrow to create tissue to help people??
    Isn't animal cloning (the animal form of repoductive cloning [e.g. Dolly the Sheep] now illegal in the UK??

8. I am really not sure you should dwell on animal cloning if the topic is a subset of human fertility treatment. it would be interesting as a passing comment, rwhen eflecting on the notion of a unique human soul, but not one to develop. Check the full spec. and the text book, if they don't discuss the topic there then don't teach your students to do this.

9. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

You're right the Specification says:
    'Responses to attitudes regarding fertility treatment and cloning'
    Although the OCR textbook we use does have a whole page dedicated to Cloning, including a section of different types of cloning (DNA Cloning, Reproductive Cloning and Theraputic Cloning). Although it doesn't specifically mention different types in the specification, it doesn't mention specific types of contraception yet asked questions in the exam directly refering to it 'e.g. Give two forms of contraception that Christians might allow.'

However, since the topic is 'Medical Ethics', i'll stick to human cloning - although there is a section on vivisection so guess touching on animal cloning wouldn't hurt anyway.

Thanks for your help :)

10. 'although there is a section on vivisection so guess touching on animal cloning wouldn't hurt anyway'.

I think that animal cloning definitely belongs with vivisection, but only go there if you can be sure your students won't then get confused and write about it when they should be dealing with human reproductive cloning. Only you know your students!

i think one of the main frustrations of teachiing these topics is that the students are only doing a GCSE - the depth of knowledge required is really only surface deep and I am increasingly trying to filter my teaching on a 'need to know' basis. The syllabus is so broad there isn't really time to expand on details they don't need to know or might risk being red herrings.