1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Clockwork by Phillip Pullman

Discussion in 'Primary' started by vikinggirl, Feb 18, 2011.

1. My class have chosen Clockwork as our next text. I like the mystery and cliffhangers and we can certainly do some work on that, does anyone else have any other ideas that have worked well, I have yr 5

2. My class have chosen Clockwork as our next text. I like the mystery and cliffhangers and we can certainly do some work on that, does anyone else have any other ideas that have worked well, I have yr 5

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

4. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

This is my favourite book to read to Year 5! We look at what you've already mentioned plus we do character studies where they have to justify their opinions based on what happens in the text. Then they collage the character using fabric. Have also done direct and reported speech based on the crime scene when Karl is dead at the end.

5. The children in my Year 6 class love this book. We begin by reading in the dark with torches to make it scary. We do freeze frames of key scenes and then piece them together to show the two stories. We add thought bubbles to the freeze frames showing the thinking of the characters. We write in role to finish off Fritz's story, as a member of the crowd in the clock tower reveal. We then look at it as a film and make a setting in 3d. We also draw pictures of settings and charcters using the text for reference. Our school is registered with Power of Reading and they have some good ideas. You may be able to access the website and look at the photographs of what schools have done even if you aren't signed up.

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Has anyone tried to get on the Power of reading website, I have had no success recently!

7. You have to register and pay on a yearly basis. We have been registered for two years and have not registered this year so can no longer access the resources but not sure if you can still see the photos etc.

8. I haven't been able to get on for the last couple of days either. We did get sent an email outlining new login details etc but that's not supposed to take place until March 1st.