1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cliques

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by captain_picard, Oct 7, 2019.

1. captain_picard

captain_picard New commenter

Hi,
    I'm a new HoD in a big department and there are lots of cliques, which I know is inevitable, but it's quite a frosty atmosphere at times. In particular, the TLR holders often don't talk to the rest of the department, only each other. Any ideas on how to create a 'team spirit'?

Thanks!

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Could the TLR holders each have a little slot to lead in Dept meetings? Maybe then the others could see their role and feel more able to approach them about issues, and the TLR holders realise that is part of their role within the larger Dept.

tb9605 likes this.
  3. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

what about something simple like cakey-breaky. this way the whole department can get together and chat(avoid work and talk about each other). what is the rooming like?(are all the clique's in the rooms next to each other. is the "department office" set up in a way that all can get in there and work?

I like the idea of department meetings, if you can get all to "bring something to the party", then it becomes less HoD talks everyone listens, and more "we're in it together"

All i'd say is if you are a New HoD, unless the department is in serious need of improvement(you see something you just can't leave), spend the first term(at least) watching, listening and thinking(who are the people you need to win over) - and make changes slowly.

good luck(this is one of the things i find the hardest)

4. captain_picard

captain_picard New commenter

Many thanks for your replies! I'll certainly take your advice on board.