1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Clingy child....Help!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by emilyatkins92, Mar 14, 2017.

1. emilyatkins92

emilyatkins92 New commenter

Hi,
    So I have a little girl in my class who is becoming increasingly clingy, she will not go and play with others and is constantly next to me. It iis starting to get very frustrating and I don't want to get cross with her, but it is starting to disrupt other children's learning. I was wondering if anyone has found any strategies that has helped with children like this?

Thanks
    Emily

2. Krayna

Krayna New commenter

I would give her extra attention by asking her to give out papers to the class or go to the office for errands. then she would feel loved and have positive attention. Encourage her to sit with a particular child who will act caring. Don't tell her off as this would probably draw her into herself and she will keep everything inside her. Maybe give her 2 minutes a day to tell you her news - it sounds like she needs someone secure to rely on. Have you heard she has any issues at home or in the playground? It may be something to look into.