1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cling film in the oven ( not microwave but conventional ) ?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by landaise, Nov 17, 2011.

1. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

I am going to try cooking something I've never done before and the method calls for using cling film to protect the delicate food but you cook it in a conventional oven at only 90° c.
    I admit I'm a little scared as I'm inclined to think the plastic will surely melt? The packaging says it resists up to 175° c but then adds " do not use in conventional oven." What would you lovely people do ? I was thinking of having a trial run with an empty dish covered with the film just to see if it resists or not, can't take a chance on it melting over my ( expensive ) food !

2. What are you cooking landaise and would foil not do the job instead?

3. landaise

No, it's a particular method developed by one of the up and coming chefs: seen it done on TV, but still wary. Has to be cling film...

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Landaise it works. It's been done for years!
    I often cook a fillet of beef at 140 degrees in cling film. It has to be the right cling film, but almost all varieties are so you'll be ok. If in any doubt wrap cling film around a raw potato, pop it in the oven at desired temp and for the time you want then check it at the end.
    It's a great way of cooking.
    If you want details of how I use it to cook fillet let me know. I've got it jotted down at home and can post it on here later.

5. landaise

Thanks, Belle, I figured you'd probably know. I have faith in your scientific judgement !

6. landaise

Potato now in the oven !
    If it works as I hope, I'll be attacking the dish later !
    Cosmos, forgot to say, it's an unnusal method of cooking foie gras for a terrine.

7. landaise

So, two terrines of foie gras are now sitting in my fridge. Looks good, hopefully will taste good too.
    To think that a jar with 180g of foie gras costs about what I paid for my 1kg of fresh !

8. BelleDuJour

Jealous!

9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Well jell, as I believe is the current vernacular with the kiddiewinks.

10. BelleDuJour

I never had you down as a TOWIE nick! [​IMG]

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I can only deduce that to be a TOWIE isn't particularly desirable, in which case I'm rather gratified that I haven't the faintest idea what one is, Belle! [​IMG]

12. BelleDuJour

The Only Way Is Essex. It's where 'well jell' comes from. Not that I've watched it myself but I did pick that up from somewhere!

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'd still be a bit worried about the plastic getting into the food.

14. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I see! I have indeed heard all the TAs in the staffroom rabbiting on about the programme.
    Think they got the phrase from elsewhere, as I'm sure I've heard it doing the rounds for a few years now...not that I'm especially in touch with 'da yout' or anything!

15. BelleDuJour

Not at all Inky. It's no worse than heating food in a plastic tray (if you use ready meals) and probably better as the temperatures are lower.