1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Climber @ 50 food help needed

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by The Pobble, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Would you believe it?
    I have planned for ages to take Climber to Brosh for his big 5 0. It has a great rep for really tasty Eastern Med food.
    Well next weekend is the date and look what has happened.... they have closed!
    I am heart broken!

So, I need help. I need a menu and recipes. I'm only cooking for the two of us but don't mind making big and freezing back! I like making lots of different dishes and have Mexican, Thai and a generic Indian feast menu all sorted. But I have never succesfully managed a truly tasty Eastern feast!
    Help!

2. Would you believe it?
    I have planned for ages to take Climber to Brosh for his big 5 0. It has a great rep for really tasty Eastern Med food.
    Well next weekend is the date and look what has happened.... they have closed!
    I am heart broken!

So, I need help. I need a menu and recipes. I'm only cooking for the two of us but don't mind making big and freezing back! I like making lots of different dishes and have Mexican, Thai and a generic Indian feast menu all sorted. But I have never succesfully managed a truly tasty Eastern feast!
    Help!

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

OK, will have a think for you, Pobs...I will be back!

4. egyptgirl

I think that a selection of Mezze to start with would be nice - this could even be your whole meal. I'm thinking Hummus (the proper stuff, not the rubbish in the plastic pots from the supermarkets), homemade Harissa, Dukkau, some lamb 'sausages' in a tomato sauce or mini koftas, falafel, Shakshouska (this is eggs with tomato and vegetables - better than it sounds!), calamari
    Now for your main course...how do you feel about okra? I know that it isn't something everyone likes or can get hold of which can be a problem. There is a wonderful recipe for a lamb and okra stew which I could give you which Mum used to make when I was younger (and when she had been persuaded to buy some meat!).
    Dessert - I think you have two choices. Baklava or halva. Basbousa is delicious but I don't have a very good recipe for it - Mum refuses to give me hers and for some reason, mine just doesn't work very well!!!
    If you want specific recipes for any of these, Pobble, then I will post them up but I know I've given you a fair few options so didn't want to overwhelm you with recipes!

5. Drooooooooooooling!
    Mezze sounds good. We do like picky bits and our favourite posh Chinese is used to us ordering every starter on the menu and nothing else. And I wouldn't dream of buying hummus, ever! Though I do make stuff that is called hummus just cos it is whizzed down and used as a dip [​IMG]
    Would that little list take an age to make or are they quite simple once you have the ingredients?? I suspect I have most of the dried ingredients, I even found 'brown chickpeas' last week. I have no idea how they are different, I didn't have my glasses with me.
    I love okra, Climber - meh! I could stick with the chicken, olive and lemon tagine he likes. I'd have to remember to start it on Friday!It's a MoMo recipe, so I know it's a fairly authentic one and it is a delight, even my dad loves it!
    I have had basbousa and it was lovely. I may try Baklava, he like nuts and I could take the rest into work!

6. egyptgirl

They are pretty simple to prepare - the most tricky would be the lamb sausages in the tomato sauce and that is just a case of making the mixture, shaping them and frying them and making a very simple tomato sauce!
    I do have another recipe for a dish called Afelia. Its actually a Greek dish using pork and its basically a kind of spiced stew that I usually serve with a cold spicy grilled aubergine salad (better than it sounds!) and they are very simple to prepare. There is quite a lot of crossover between Greek and Middle Eastern cookery in a way so you could wangle (I think that is the correct word!) it...
    And again, very easy to prepare! You should serve it with a spicy sugar syrup to make it a pudding as opposed to a snack-type thing.
    I like this menu planning! Great distraction from the work I'm not doing!

7. Afelia sounds good. We both like aubergine too, hot or cold!
    Could I bother you for the recipe?
    Thinking about it I have a Greek cookery book. Dad brought it back from Greece, it was translated (quite badly) and he and mum just couldn't get on with it, the errors are very funny. It's on the bookshelf next to 2-ton Tessies slimming book (I kid you not)!

8. egyptgirl

To make Afelia, cut about 1 1/2lb of pork leg into small chunks and discard any bits of fat. Then crush about 4tsp of coriander seeds until fairly finly ground up and mix with roughly 1/2 tsp caster sugar and some S&P. Rub it all over the meat. Leave this to marinate for up to 4 hours. Brown the meat in some olive oil then set aside. Fry 2 sliced onions until they start to colour and then stir in 300ml or so of red wine and some S&P and bring to boil. Add the meat back into the dish and bake in a preheated oven at GM3 for an hour or so until the pork is very tender.
    For the Spiced Aubergine Salad you need to cut 2 aubergines into slices and brush them with oil. Grill them until they are golden and cooked through. Cut them into quarters then mix together about olive oil, red wine vinegar, no more than 2 cloves of crushed garlic, S&P, lemon juice, and equal amounts of ground cumin and ground coriander. Add the aubergines to the mix chill for about 2 hours. When you are ready to serve, add half a sliced cucumber and a couple of sliced tomatoes to the dish. Drizzle a bit of yoghurt over (Greek, of course) and sprinkle over some chopped parsley. If you want a bit more heat then you can sprinkle over some sliced red chilli.

9. Thanks, that sounds realy nice. Lots of meat, Climber's idea of heaven [​IMG]

10. egyptgirl

Yes - Mr EGs too! He practically swooned when my Grandmother made it for him (never does that when I cook for him!). Forgot to say that it usually serves 4 people...or 2 hungry Greeks! [​IMG]