1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Climate Crisis - Brian’s plan

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emerald52, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

What on earth are you talking about? No-one has 6 children that I know of. I asked you what you think is a large family. To say I am the same as Prince Charles is absurd. I have nothing in common with him other than having two children.

Of course you don't have to say how many children you have, but it would be polite to just say you don't wish to discuss it publicly instead of ignoring me.

2. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

We can all do what is possible for us. Living in a rural place I have a car for transport. If I lived near a bus or train station I would give up my car. I do air dry my clothes and decided a year ago not to buy new clothes. I’ve cut down meat consumption drastically. I use all our left overs and compost fruit and vegetable waste. Books come from the library, charity shop or kindle. Our veg patch and greenhouse supplement our summer diet. I’d like to do more and am concerned for the future of our planet.

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Good stuff, Emerald.

This is what we all need telling in a huge publicity campaign. Worldwide.

emerald52 likes this.
  4. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

We need to stop thinking of it as "our planet". It isn't our planet. It's just a planet. We'd mess anywhere up. It's not unique.

lanokia likes this.
  5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Controlling population. China did that. How'd that work out? Good?

The Pakistani family over the road have four children. One of the mothers at GD's school pops one out every year, two even have the same (non-domiciliary) father. Who are aiming the "have fewer children" at? I'd like to see the slogans. In fact I'd like to see any religious group whose religion forbids contraception taking that quietly. Human rights would be on it in a flash. And Miss "Too thick to use contraception" and her mate Miss "More children = more benefits and a bigger house" are going to be shouting their rights from the rooftops.

border_walker likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

China was projected to have a population of 3-4 billion by now. It has 1.3 billion.

So it achieved it's goals... but the methodology was flawed, inhumane and resulted in a societal gender bias.

emerald52 likes this.
  7. Aquamarina1234

Well quite! The law of unintended consequences on a grand scale.
    But none of this knee-jerk stuff is ever thought through. Make it illegal to own two cars? Well OK, if you magic a walking-distance job for me or my husband, we could manage that. Or provide a reliable public transport alternative. It takes 13 mins to drive to my previous workplace at 7.45. I'd had to have taken 2 non-consecutive buses (indeed I did when my car was being repaired) and it took over an hour.

lanokia likes this.
  8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Well, if people refuse to consider all reasonable measures, then, believe me, there will be measures taken that you have no choice over at all. Better to start immediately and make all our lives easier.

ShowerGel likes this.
  9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

The UK has reduced its carbon footprint by 38% since 1990, more than any other developed country. That's good, but we are still not meeting the target set. Whilst Trump is in office and other developing countries are using coal for energy to get their own economies up to speed, the global impact of efforts to reduce carbon emissions will not be enough. It is a depressing scenario.
    The youth in this country, and others, have set a momentum going though, which is good. In our house I have been brought in line largely by the efforts of my husband and the attitudes of my younger daughter in particular, who is very environmentally concerned. I rarely use the car now (buses and trains - free travel through TfL 60+ pass); we have a smart meter; the thermostat has been turned down so I'm sitting here in two jumpers as I feel the cold and would happily have the central heating set at 23C; we don't eat much meat; we recycle as much as possible; we never buy carrier bags; we buy fruit loose and take our own net bags from Lakeland to weigh it in store; I get most books from the charity shop or library; I don't buy clothes these days and wear things I've had for a long time; all light bulbs are eco-friendly; all appliances and lights are switched off when not in use. All we can do is our bit, where we can, and if that becomes the norm then things move forwards step by step across society.
    I hope the youth in the US and other nations that are far behind us in terms of carbon consumption can eventually, and the sooner the better, build a momentum that will eventually impact first their families and then government policies in those countries. We can't just give up and accept that we are heading to climate Armageddon.

emerald52 and Scintillant like this.
  10. Scintillant

When people stop eating meat, less is produced. Look at Sweden and how flying is changing as a result of "flight shame". Things are changing. Be part of it.

Plant-based diets are growing, despite vested interests.
    Climate awareness has grown massively despite vested interests.

ShowerGel and emerald52 like this.
  11. Scintillant

This not true. It's much lower (around 10% I think) when the carbon accounting is done honestly.

And you are a great example of someone making changes. When people say nothing is happening or that people won't change, I know it is not true. I am seeing more and more examples of it every single day.

emerald52 and smoothnewt like this.
  12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Well that's according to this week's New Statesman (leader article on the limits of green capitalism). They have no reason to deceive us.

13. Aquamarina1234

That job then....

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I don't disagree.

While I may argue for natural persuasive population reduction... I accept this isn't going to work fast. The social/cultural elements are not in place and resistance will be strong [as we've seen on here]. Also our economy is geared up to a regular supply of young people coming in... hence our need for low skilled immigration... a reduction in young people would need older people [people like me] to work for longer to sustain the economy ...

15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Reminders are always required for alarmists.

16. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

There is NO opportunity it is a figment of fevered imagination.

17. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Or we reboot the economy so that we do not need lots of unskilled workers. Robots and automation. We are way behind other developed countries in this. It is a result of short term thinking, lack of investment and backward government policy.

border_walker, smoothnewt and lanokia like this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That seems to be the way Japan is going... it's why our productivity is so poor against equivalent nations.

emerald52 likes this.
  19. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You don't want to answer @lanokia?

I'll take that as you withdrawing your allegations then.

Thank you.

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Wow... so I can't be bothered taking a lecture from you and you have to tag me claiming it's a win.

Are you deprived of attention? Because I'm getting the feeling I'm being bullied by a 'Forum Guide'...

Aquamarina1234 likes this.