1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Climate Crisis - Brian’s plan

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emerald52, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I think the suggestions are primarily to stop flying and switch to a plant-based diet. And they apply to all of us.

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Could you explain?

3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Not GDW though. She's had bowel surgery and can't eat fibrous foods. Not people with iron deficiency anaemia or B12 problems either. We don't all have free medical treatment and supplements. People in northerly latitudes will definitely need VitD supplements (sorry, no vegetarian option). Athletic types will lose muscle mass because of low creatine and carnosine, and pregnant women need to supplement with DHA to avoid brain development problems in their foetuses.
    I can see (many of) the environmental advantages to plant-based diets, leaving aside the carbon cost of flying in unseasonal ingredients or using fossil fuels to heat greenhouses so they can be grown here instead, but the bottom line is: if you are relying on artificial supplements to avoid serious deficiency diseases, it is neither a natural nor a healthy diet, especially for children.

border_walker likes this.
  4. Scintillant

It appears you just want to argue and pick fault with every suggestion, by citing extreme examples and implying that mere sggestions should be applied to clearly inappropriate situations.

It is simply accepted basic science that if we stop flying and move to plant-based diets, we will greatly help in the fight against emissions. That doesn't mean everyone of course. It just means if you can, it would be a good idea to do so.

ShowerGel and emerald52 like this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Considering 'Brian' flew there on a private plane...

Wondering why I need lectures from him? And his large family...

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Saw this... sure hope it ain't electric...

[​IMG]

7. Scintillant

You don't. None of us do. Point it out to those you discuss climate change with, and contrast it with your own actions. Actions count now, as you intimate, and not words. No matter who is speaking.

ShowerGel likes this.
  8. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

But there are so many other things that people could choose to do, not have children, drink cider instead of beer.

9. Scintillant

I wonder why not flying and a plant-based diet are the ones all the experts keep mentioning? Mmmm.....

But yes, feel free to have no children and drink cider too.

ShowerGel likes this.
  10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

They are more socially acceptable suggestions.

[​IMG]
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...tprint-one-government-isn-t-telling-you-about

Less car use and less use of fossil fuel dependent household energy save more according to this graph, though we mustn't mention the biggie at the top, that's secret.

border_walker, emerald52 and lanokia like this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So I can do everything on that chart [except number one] and not cause as much damage as a parent of one child [let alone parents with more than one child].

Although I've been avoiding transatlantic flights now for 20 years... so really should make sure I get one of those soon... I am due.

12. Scintillant

Or realise that it is what has been happening for 60 years. People are having fewer children, all over the globe. So that will simply continue to improve. Fertility reduction has been an amazing success.

However, people are not reducing flying, which is even set to expand, and eating a plant-based diet is only just starting to take off.

ShowerGel likes this.
  13. Scintillant

I'm sure you are only pretending to be that daft

Think of all the emissions already saved by people having fewer children for 60 years, all over the planet.

We now need to reduce flying and meat consumption.

ShowerGel likes this.
  14. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Prince Charles has 2 children. Does that now qualify as "large"?

15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

We need to stop travelling so far to work, that has a bigger effect than diet. I've stopped doing that for my own reasons and so can feel smug about it. Of course most people don't want to do that and so carry on doing what they like. Some of these are vegan and enjoy telling everyone else to stop doing what they like instead while not addressing their own bigger issue.

The whole smug "I'm a vegan, why don't you do what I do?!" gets very boring. Especially when it's a faddy, basically unhealthy diet that requires a lot of planning and additional supplements over the long term. Not to mention the dirty details like five times more methane from rice paddy fields than beef farming, all those air miles to get some tasty variety in the diet and the shifted environmental impacts to other countries such as water extraction for almond milk production.

Reducing meat and dairy intake is a positive move for a variety of reasons, but it is being used to deflect from more important and more difficult aspects while excusing avoidable extravagances. It's not the one size fits all solution that it is often pushed as.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And his four grandchildren ... and his three siblings... and their respective offspring.

"Family" is quite a big term...

17. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

This is a fascinating thread and I'm scared for our future. But, I don't know what to do, and there are millions like me.
    You say don't fly; but that plane is scheduled and will still take off without me. You say don't eat meat; but someone else will buy that steak. Farmers don't want to go out of business.

It comes down to the big boys and profit. Real change will only come from the people pedalling everything. Superpowers and money. That's the problem.

We need some Government adverts on TV, along the lines of "Do your bit for the Planet, now! ", telling us what we can all do on an individual basis immediately. It's wake-up time.
    It might have to come to making it illegal to own two cars, to have your central heating on for more than 4 hours a day. I don't know.

But, it's not just us. How you get the whole planet behind this, I do not know.

chelsea2 and emerald52 like this.
  18. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

How is Prince Charles - or anyone else - responsible for the size of their parent's family? Or how many grandchildren they have? You can only hold people to account for how many children they have chosen to have.

How is having 2 children and 4 grandchildren a 'large family'?

How many children and grandchildren do you have? [I have 2 children and 2 grandchildren and I don't consider it large. Do you? ]

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So 6 children... 6X60 tonnes... 360 tonnes of CO2...

I can ignore your outrage... you and Brian, peas in a pod.

20. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I can do about four of the above twelve suggestions. But the beauty of the situation is that my non-existent offspring can do them all. Why worry about all twelve. Just do the one and we could finish the species in a little over a hundred years.

Problem solved.

Once again: it's nothing to do with the planet. It's our species.

Finishing ourselves off is the only viable option.

It's like asking the kid to tidy its room. "I'll do it tomorrow". "En un dia del manana".