1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Climate Crisis - Brian’s plan

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emerald52, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

"The best we can aim for is 2.0 degs C and there's only an outside chance of that"...

"Already, it will be extremely difficult for us to reduce our emissions in line with 2°C, but if don’t do something now it will be much more difficult. And very soon we will completely lose any opportunity for 2°C."

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/climate-leadership/0/steps/21377

ShowerGel likes this.
  2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Didn't realise I had such an influence. I haven't said there's no point, I disagree with your idea that it's all about simple individual changes with no part for technology to play and that everyone will join in.

I did, that's how I know.
    It says something like: "If everyone reduced their carbon footprint to the average European" about 3.50, did you watch it?

The concept of "carbon budget" is flawed. Any fossil fuel is a net addition, any and all. Any removal is on a geological time scale. It's p**sing in the village well, it all gets added unless some way is devised of removing it, at the moment the best we can do is stop before it gets too bad, but slow trickles will still keep adding to it.

A flawed comparison. It needed enough people to fight, not everyone, and the ones who didn't fight weren't working against those who did, sometimes by a factor of 5-10 times the effect.

border_walker likes this.
  3. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

We've haven't got anywhere.

We're just a small insignificant species with the amazing ability to ruin the party for nearly every other species.

4. Scintillant

Brutally honest from Kevin Anderson

Telling it exactly like it is.

ShowerGel likes this.
  5. Scintillant

I have not said "all".

Oh give it a rest.,

I'm done with this rubbish.

[​IMG]

ShowerGel likes this.
  6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

We had enough global clout to be confident of a positive outcome.
    Unlike now.

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Stick with your flawed ideas then, easier to do with a lack of understanding, if you actually bothered to read it yourself that is, unlike your video.

8. Aquamarina1234

YeS. THIs. This is what we've got. Do you seriously think gazillionnaires give a flying one what happens to the little people as long as they don't lose cash?

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Gazzillionaires have always been able to get a little man in to sort stuff out for them. I very much doubt that the fires raging in Australia will impact on the Murdoch empire.

Let's not forget that Nero fiddled whilst Rome burnt. History doesn't record which kids he fiddled with, nor sadly, does it tell us whether those kids became expert violistists following his tuition. If only historrians didn't waste their time concenrtrating on the rulers and looked instead more on what cultural benefits each era produced.

When I was at school, I was taught about the Kings and Queens of England, but little else of their historical significance.

It's only been in later life that I came to understand why Hogarth painted Gin Lane and the relevance it had to William of Orange, f-ing religion and how the poor back then tried to cope with the same insane politics that still exist today.

10. Aquamarina1234

I did Social and Economic Hist 1603 -1905 O-level. Made me a bit more socially aware than O-level European History might have.

11. Jude Fawley

In my soon-to-be-released novel 'When We're Gone' the paper currency is nourishing detritus devoured by the next species.

It's all about bleached bones, molten gold and an hardly-recognisable1953 Buick Oldsmobile in an ash landscape.

12. Scintillant

Coming out with utter rubbish like "the concept of carbon budget is flawed.

You're a bloke on an internet forum claiming a fundamental area of climate science is flawed while numerous experts discuss it and write papers on it every day. Carbon budgets are absolutely crucial to our understanding of how we address climate change.

ShowerGel likes this.
  13. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Its all about listening to experts.

Why is anyone arguing with anyone who knows far more about any subject than you do?
    Would you tell a bin collector how to do the job? Would you tell a detective how to do the job? Would you like anyone telling you how to do yours - assuming you're a teacher as this is TES - if they were a pilot?

Has anyone been watching the Ben Fogle programmes?
    Would you argue with the Russian Professor and his son who are trying to work out how to stop the perma frost melting in Siberia? Once this has gone we are finished. Would you say
    "Oh don't bother mate I like this warmer weather."?

Listen to the experts and act.
    It is all about individuals taking action on their doorsteps. Start now and shout from your rooftops what YOU are doing.
    Stop making pathetic excuses just because you don't want to change your convenient, easy lives. Surely anyone can put on a jumper and turn the heating down or go outside for a brisk walk for starters!

Even more daring - hop on a bus even if you have to drive to the nearest stop! Go on - just do it or couldn't you manage the walk once you have alighted from said bus? Is it just that little bit too far...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    smoothnewt, Scintillant and emerald52 like this.
  14. Jude Fawley

Hilarious! It's such a cosmic joke. We are trying to make the climate which we've changed more suitable to our selfish desire to exist, different now we're not happy with what we've done. So we're going to put it right. Laugh, I nearly fell over. This is just an expression of evolution.The climate will be fine for the next top species. What we leave behind will dictate the next top species just like the last top species left the climate perfect for our species.

We're just so self-obsessed. This is how we will suffocate and die out. All these people running around quoting numbers and amounts. "Oh if we do this we can live a bit longer". "If only we hadn't done that it would all be alright".

Absolute nonsense. We need to get it clear in our minds that we will kill ourselves off. How it happens is immaterial. That it will happen is certain. What comes after us is of no significance. We need to get on with destroying ourselves. It's just a pity we're not more efficient at it. But we're efficient enough for the purpose.

It's like the person who dropped the bowl and as it descends to the floor, thinks "if only it were back in my hands intact".

Or the person who confused the accelerator with the brake pedal and pushed harder.

15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

This is just another brainwashing session at the AGW alarmist convention.

16. Aquamarina1234

Double post

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  17. Aquamarina1234

A brief moment of hope....

Yes, O Patronising One, it is. I've got an A4 typed sheet of knee disorders following an MRI scan, and bursitis in my hips. I can walk short distances with pain and I can't manage uphill gradients or steps at all. It's beginning to wear a bit thin hearing how I could sort climate emergency if I only went for a walk. It's lazy sermonising.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

[​IMG]

19. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

i have seen it suggested that wanting to move away from nuclear may have been a green error.

20. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Chicken or egg?