1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Climate Crisis - Brian’s plan

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emerald52, Jan 23, 2020.

1. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Yesterday at Davos Prince Charles (aka Brian in Private Eye) unveiled his climate crisis plan. It includes green taxes and environmentally friendly technologies. He urges no support for fossil fuels. His message was what is the good of money if all that happens is it goes in a fire. Will those who ignore Greta Thunberg be more willing to listen to Brian?

ajrowing likes this.
  2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Interesting butu also symptomatic of the issue: still skirting around the real issue and the level of action needed.

Technologies are largely irrelevant. Work should be done on them as normal, and they may have a role to play at some point. However, there are no short cuts, The only solution is a rapid move away from fossil fuels.

[​IMG]

bonxie, ajrowing and emerald52 like this.
  3. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

He's not the Climate Change Messiah, he's a very naughty boy

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Fossil fuels started to be used because of advances in technology. To move away from fossil fuels needs changes in technology by a society that is highly dependent on them.

I agree that there are short term measures that could and should be made, but new technology is what is going to get us out of this eventually, otherwise we are going to carry on releasing CO2 until it's all gone.

emerald52 and lanokia like this.
  5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

https://newsthump.com/2020/01/23/and-what-do-you-do-greta-thunberg-asks-prince-charles/

"Climate activist Greta Thunberg met Prince Charles at the World Economic Forum and was genuinely puzzled as to the point of him.

Greta Thunberg met the Prince of Wales in Davos after Charles made a speech on the issue of sustainability.

“Hello,” said Greta to the strange old man. “Who are you and what do you do?”

Charles, visibly taken aback at such a profound question, did his very best to answer.

“Well, I er, just sort of dodder about commenting on things,” he said.

“For example, if I think a building is ugly I announce to the world that it’s a carbuncle.

“Or if I think society is becoming a bit sweary then I’ll publicly lament the prevalence of the casual obscenity.

“So I suppose you could say I’m jolly important!

“I’ve actually been harping on about climate change and the importance of environmentalism for some time now.

“Of course, nobody listens to me because I have all the energy and charisma of a butternut squash.”

Ms Thunberg listened intently but still couldn’t quite grasp the purpose of this apparently senior figure in British society.

He seemed to be vaguely concerned about the right sort of things so why hadn’t he done anything about them?

Greta herself had managed to capture the imagination of the whole world and done more to get people thinking seriously about climate change in mere months than this Prince had in decades.

She decided to have one more go.

“But what do you do?” she asked again.

“Well I’m bloody doing it!” said Charles, growing exasperated. “I give my opinions about things and meet people!”

Seconds later they parted company and Greta forgot all about the encounter.

She had actual decision-makers to meet and real changes to make."

emerald52 likes this.
  6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

So meeting people and commenting on things is not what Greta does? Or does her contribution count for more because she's female, not royal, a child, and autistic?
    Look, a bit more intersectionality! How did I manage for so long without that word?

7. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Shame he didn't mention his threat to deal for good with one of the victims of his mate the paedophile Bishop. Or how he housed him and gave him gifts of money. That's one thing about Prince Charles. He always gets his priorities right.

lexus300 likes this.
  8. Scintillant

There is literally no time to wait for technology. We just have to stop using fossil fuels as soon as possible. If we don't, things will get grim pretty quickly

9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Really? Tell me more. Oh.......

10. Scintillant

I'll let you wallow in uncaring ignorance.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  11. Mangleworzle

Turn the gas off, lock the car and never use it again, turn the computer off, lights, fridge, etc. etc. Only eat food you currently have or can grow without travelling. Dig a well and don't use water from the mains, don't flush or use the drains. We can't just stop using fossil fuels with no alternative, which of the things in my very brief list have you done?

Who is "waiting" for technology? We need to reduce fossil fuel use and then make it obsolete by replacing it. The faster we develop technology the quicker fossil fuels will be phased out, in fact this is the ONLY was fossil fuels will be phased out, not by just stopping using things and acting like it's the 17th century again.

border_walker and lanokia like this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Spot on... we've developed solar, we've developed wind... we've developed 4th generation fission reactors...

We'll develop nuclear fusion...

Technology is a big step in the right direction for solving the problems we face... natural population reduction is another... carbon sequestration from the atmosphere through reforestation and other means is yet another.

The idea that we just adopt "The Good Life" as if global life can be like a 1970s sitcom is unrealistic and a pipe dream.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  13. Scintillant

Again, always looking for problems and rubbishing solutions.

Tell me which technology will reduce warming of the planet in the timeframe needed?

I wish people would listen to those who have studied this for years and are acknowledged world experts. They just might know more than people posting here.

ShowerGel likes this.
  14. Scintillant

What a daft, extreme argument.

You don't have to do that. Stopping flying and not eating meat alone will go a long way to getting your personal carbon budget to levels that will allow us to meet our Paris committments

Cars, computers, lights and fridges etc can run off renewable-generated electricty. You're literally talking as if there ARE no alternatives to fossil fuels.

ShowerGel likes this.
  15. Mangleworzle

How do we stop without stopping? What will replace fossil fuels without new technologies?

Mainly they don't though. We need more and better new technologies. Your approach just seems to be lets slow down which isn't good enough in itself.

What will replace plane engines powered by aviation kerosene? If there isn't anything, they will just keep flying and the problem is always with us - getting slowly worse, likewise long distance shipping.

The problem is one of technology, caused by one set of technologies based on the oxidation of fossil fuels, the answer can only be different technologies. We do need to slow down to buy time, but that's all it's doing, buying time, any tipping point could be delayed by 10, 50, 100 years but it won't actually go away for good without new solutions.

It's not about individual personal contributions, most people don't care enough to change their lives much and as long as that is true, carbon dioxide will keep on trickling out making the problem worse.

16. Scintillant

It is exactly about individuals. The more people who change and let others know, will add pressure for systemic change.

Using renewables isn't just "slowing down". It is drastically removing a lot of emissions from the carbon budget.

People WILL care. More people are caring every day as they realise just what is happening.

Start thinking in terms of carbon budgets
    https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/what-does-a-carbon-budget-mean/

And listen to the experts

ShowerGel likes this.
  17. Jude Fawley

It's hilarious watching the species scrabble around trying to find 'a solution'. The solution will be our finish.

Waking up in time to die.

Wonderful! I love it.

When bad code comes good.

18. Mangleworzle

It's not removing anything, it is slowing the rate of addition. Aircraft will continue to fly, ships will continue to sail, they will all continue to p**s in the village well, all these 10, 20, 50 year deadlines are arbitrary. Even if we make the first and delay the next ones, without fundamental change we will still get there a bit later.
    Not enough and not quickly enough. We can't rely on that any more than we can rely on some carbon capture technology which may or may not happen.

They seem to be agreeing with what I've been saying.

They also seem to be saying that "others" need to do more, the worst emitters of carbon dioxide can have a much greater effect than I can. They aren't going to change much as they like their lifestyles, when have people ever voluntarily given up a luxurious lifestyle for some nebulous benefit to others?

It's naïve hippie speak "Hey guys I've just thought if everyone refuses to fight, then all wars will end right away!"

border_walker likes this.
  19. Jude Fawley

20. Scintillant

Well that will be the case as long as you keep shouting about doom and gloom and telling everyone there's no point.

They really don't. Watch the video and listen to Prof. Anderson.

They are saying "we" need to do more in the UK, USA, Australia, Canada etc.

My father volunteered to fight Nazi Germany. I view it like that. If everyone said "there's no point, look what an uphill struggle it will be", we wouldn't have got anywhere.

ShowerGel likes this.