1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Climate change: the other side

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jonntyboy, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Occasional commenter

For those concerned about our imminent deaths in the furnace that the earth is soon to become - and to help us allay the fears of the kids we teach who have been exposed to too much Gretaganda - there is a wealth of data out there that show just what a hoax this all is.

One particularly measured and calm presentation, factually based, is the following. It has the merit of being short and clear. (It also includes, for those of us who follow with increasing bemusement US politics, a neat little dig at AOC). There are thousands of others, mostly delivered by highly-qualified experts.

I'm glad to say that I am teaching the kids I work with NOT to accept at face value everything they hear and see simply because a supposed "scientist" is talking. I've shown them what junk science is, and am happy to say that I've been supported in that by my science teacher colleagues.

In my opinion, one of the greatest threats to future generations in the West is the restriction of freedoms, especially that of speech - especially the insidious "you are not permitted to offend" sort of approach that over the past few years has become the hallmark of the intolerant, totalitarian left. At this time of year, more than any other, we have in Europe the opportunity to remember how many gave their lives, directly or indirectly, to preserve those freedoms for us.

One way to ensure that we retain them is relentlessly to insist that all views, ideas, stories, webcasts, documentaries, articles, conclusions, ideologies, and beliefs should be open to rigorous challenge, irrespective of who - or how many - are promoting them. In a world of so many competing media, where money-making is often the game and where malign influences and vested interests cannot always easily be identified, the best thing we can tell our students, in my view, is "challenge, check , consider."

artboyusa, towncryer and Kandahar like this.
  2. Kandahar

Kandahar Established commenter

The way it ought to be, and was throughout my education.

Yes indeed. We see it on this forum from time to time.

towncryer likes this.
  3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well I've been pondering on that and nope....I cannot see any of my freedoms being restricted simply because people are getting gobby. And as a parent I'm not sure I'm very worried about my children's freedoms begin restricted.

While I'm here-do you have any views on the East, or is it just half of the planet which is likely to suffer greater restriction of freedom than environmental damage through human activity?

Next....

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Sigh

MAGAorMIGA and Scintillant like this.
  6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

nomad and Kandahar like this.
  7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Don't worry, Scintillant wil be along soon to pluck his one-stringed harp.

artboyusa likes this.
  8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

We've had this discussion sooooo many times. Which is why I asked (on the other recent thread) if the OP was Lexus in disguise. I should think he posted every video & link disagreeing that climate change was happening because of people's actions available on the internet.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'll just wish all participants in this thread the best of luck.

10. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

What's really funny is that we aren't going to end as we think we might. It'll be as a result of trying to put something right.

needabreak likes this.
  11. colacao17

colacao17 New commenter

You're not a scientist are you, jontyboy?

MAGAorMIGA and Scintillant like this.
  12. Kandahar

And you señor Colacao?

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

[​IMG]

Gatekeeping

14. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

If anyone would like to explain what is causing the excess heating we are experiencing if you do not consider it be human generated CO2, place your theories below. I'll copy them and email them to Nature and become an overnight millionaire.

Unless it's utter gibberish of course... (see Post #1)

Roll up folks. Don't be shy...

15. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

By the way, Craig Idso is the idiot who thinks climate change is down to aerosols.

Aerosols actually mask the effects of climate change.

16. Kandahar

Can you post tomorrow's lottery number too please Miss.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So we should buy shares in Lynx?

needabreak and Kandahar like this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Attached Files:

19. Kandahar

Brut33 is far more effective.

20. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Really? So can we bring back cfc's in refrigerators? New fridges don't last as long.

Kandahar and border_walker like this.