1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Climate Change School Strikes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Shedman, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/watch-school-strike-against-drastic-climate-change

It's splendid to see young people making a principled stand and I'm sure none of the strikers would even dream of using their parents as a private taxi service and would undoubtedly decline the chance of jetting away to foreign climes on a school trip or family holiday. Well done to them I say.

alex_teccy and towncryer like this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Can't get our lot to stop littering the school site... let alone do anything real about climate change. Suggest a litter pick to them and they sneer in disgust.

I bet the protest site in London is a tip as well.

towncryer likes this.
  3. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Maybe, maybe not.
    [​IMG]

4. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Established commenter

I told my 8 year old Grandson something - about aluminium or plastic - forget what - doing an eco nag
    He said. "I know." He said it like he was fed up of hearing it.
    The youngsters have been told time and time again about recycling. About climate change. They carry a heavy burden.
    10,000 people went out today in Leeds to protest. Kids. Students. Parents.
    I went out and picked up litter at an environmental centre. Otherwise I would have been there.
    We know how we abuse the resources of our planet. We tell the kids.
    And they are scared. This is what they always been told.
    Theirs is a planet that is well fried.

coffeekid likes this.
  5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Try teaching them better.

6. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

Would it be more effective to have a mass litter pick or tree planting rather than a demonstration?
    How about switch off their phones and all other internet related stuff for 48 hours?

peter12171 and knitone like this.
  7. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

What's wrong with doing both? Tree planting is helpful. Litterpick not so much, as the litter still exists whether it is on the streets or in landfill,a and neither is good.

coffeekid and towncryer like this.
  8. Corvuscorax

how would that help the environment? These things are very low power, and reduce use of paper. Not upgrading phones and laptops for no reason would certainly help. But limiting use of phones and laptops you already have, I can't see what difference that makes?

9. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Anything to undermine them.

We don't want to give up our comfortable lifestyles and we don't want them guilttripping us over it.

So yeah, they're maipulated, they should litterpick & stop using their phones instead of blaming us, and anyway that girl's autistic and has rich parents.

10. Corvuscorax

It is impossible to live your life without having an environmental impact.

I think it is unfair to berate children for having an environmental impact when they are doing what they can to limit it, and to campaign for environmental protection.

I certainly know children who make a stand against cars and planes, and I know children who don't, and I know children who are not in position to.

I know children who do everything they can to avoid having an environmental impact.Of course they still do. They can't avoid it. That is not their fault.

blue451 likes this.
  11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Hard to calculate but cellphones are thought to account for up to 0.5 to 1% of world energy use.

nomad likes this.
  12. Corvuscorax

using them? or making them?

13. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Using them

nomad likes this.
  14. towncryer

It's a gesture...just as demonstrating on the street is.

peter12171, knitone and nomad like this.
  15. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I have to say litter is a bugbear of mine...The roads/verges/hedgerows etc in this country are a disgrace. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have much more time for those who go out every month to clear litter round our way at the weekend (and those who clean the beaches of litter too) rather than those who demonstrate by taking a day off school (or work). Why not do that on a Saturday? o_O

16. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

I wouldn't call watching a bunch of brainwashed children being manipulated by cynical people for their own gain "splendid". I found it rather disgusting.

17. towncryer

I'm not undermining them...but I do feel that if things are to be done properly than we should give them the tools to do it and suggest something more worthwhile and helpful to the planet than mass demonstrations.

And yes I think Greta is being manipulated and is a very handy front for climate activists.I watched her äddress congress the other day and she didn't have that much to say...unlike the speakers who came after...yet she gets the headlines.

And no...I'm not prepared to give up my comfortable lifestyle over a bunch of hysteria about climate change.It doesn't mean that I don't care or that I'm not responsible...but for instance, in my job I need to fly at least once a year...and I'm damned if I'm going to be "flight shamed"for doing so.

artboyusa likes this.
  18. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

As long as you promise not to moan in future about how not enough was done to address things earlier.

19. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

My ten yr old asked to go on the march in Edinburgh. I took her. Feel free to scoff, especially if you've lived most of your life and don't have to worry about the long term effects of climate change.

loranp, vannie and blue451 like this.
  20. RebellingforLife

RebellingforLife New commenter

As usual when it comes to discussing children and their actions, there are some shameful comments on here.

I took part in yesterday's protests and was incredibly proud of the action the children were taking. Yes there were some who appeared to be there to miss lessons but it was a handful in a crowd of over ten thousand. It will only get bigger so get used to it.