1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Climate Change Protest Absence

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Italianophile, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Italianophile

Italianophile New commenter

Hello colleagues - just a quick one - how are you all recording absences on recent Fridays for students who have decided to attend the climate change protests? And are you issuing sanctions as an unauthorised absence? Thanks

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

These were unauthorised absences requiring sanction like any other.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

They are only unauthorised if the head doesn't authorise them. Some heads have been reported as saying they have authorised them. Whether as a one-off or ongoing wasn't stated. Unauthorised absence does not automatically require a sanction.

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

The impression from the opening post is that these particular absences were not authorised, hence the question.

The impression from the opening post is that these unauthorised absences necessitate sanction, hence the question.

5. dodie102

dodie102 Occasional commenter

My daughter's school has authorised them as long as we, as parents, made a request in advance and that the students then actually went to the local protest. There was a proviso that they would not be supervised by school staff for that time should they choose to attend, obviously! Pretty enlightened I thought. They sent a very well phrased letter.

strawbs and sparkleghirl like this.
  6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

This is important and personally I would like as many students as possible to be involved in these protests. We have made a right mess of things with scant regard for their futures. Had we shown more responsibility, these protests wouldn't be necessary.