1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CLIL German

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by donksdoodles, May 20, 2011.

1. We are considering doing some cross curricular teaching in German next year at Key Stage 3, possibly one lesson a week in maths or science. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of this (positive or negative) and where would be a good place to start in terms of resources?

Many thanks!!

2. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Hi there!

If you pm me your email address, I am currently rewriting my Y9 SOW to go completely CLIL and could pass on some good resources I got from the course I attended.

3. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

I would also like these resources, so I've sent you my email address. Did they give any ideas/resources for French as well? Will the course be repeated?

4. I haven't got any personal experience, but my uni (in Germany) offers a Master's in CLIL and the teacher responsible for it frequently refers to her experiences. She says that especially weak students benefit from CLIL teaching. There was a Hauptschule group who had one maths lesson a week in English, and the pupils themselves said they would like to go completely CLIL because maths was easier in English. The results of the CLIL group were better than the other groups' results.

5. noemie

Brighton, you've got mail. Don't think the course will be repeated, it was funded partly by Links into Languages I believe (try this website for more info). I intend to upload what I create on the resources by the end of the summer hopefully. In the meantime I'd strongly suggest to anyone interested in CLIL/cross-curricular teaching to simply go and speak to other department leaders in their school. I was astonished to find out for instance that in Y9 geography students are given an imaginary budget and they have to book a holiday, looking at different aspects such as travel, accomodation etc. That was actually one activity I'd made my class do for hwk earlier in the year to make the topic of "a day out" a little more relevant. Métro 3 unit 6 looks at newspaper writing, which again is something that my students can recall from an earlier English module. It's not hard to line the dots when you realise where the dots are.

6. Can I join the queue in asking for these resources in German. I will be putting together a short PSHE unit on drugs, smoking, alcohol for KS3. Any help would be really welcome.

7. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

We've rewritten our year 7 and 8 SOWS for French using the CLIL approach. Unfortunately, German is dying in our school, but at some point in the future I'd love to work with/swap resources with any Germanists doing CLIL.

8. noemie

Just a little clue regarding asking for resources:
    a) check that it hasn't already been linked. In this case, can I refer you back to my earlier link: http://clil4teachers.pbworks.com/w/page/8427859/FrontPage. Everything is on there.
    b) rather than putting a comment at the bottom of a thread that the person might not see, click on their name and send them a private message with your email address. It means that person is sure to get the message, but also it will reduce the amount of junk email you will receive by sharing your email on a public website.
    [​IMG]