1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Clicker 5 Objectives

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by CMercer, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Lots of my lower ability and SEN Year 3 are about to start using Clicker to help build sentences. Does anyone have a sheet of objectives e.g. I Can statements that I can use as a target sheet/checklist of what they need to acheive? I've had a quick look online and not come across anything yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

2. runaway

runaway New commenter

Sorry I am a bit confused as to why your SEN year 3 are kicking off at sentence level? Please download a copy of the KS2Framework or find the one that your school has somewhere and turn to the section marked for year 3. Sentence level may wellbe receptive or even repetitive at this stage but not clicker-style creative unless you are building up collaboratively all working on the same sentence. It sounds very much like you are trying to run before you can walk and there really is no need to pressurise yourself or the kids -in fact it is very likely to backfire. By all means play and have fun with clicker if it fits with what you are doing but it won't fit into a 'I can' check list for year 3. By year 4 yes as long as you are playing with repeated structures and adding nouns and an adjective, and year 5 for creating similar sentences substituting nouns but reusing the same set structures eg. If they already knew j'ai un chat noir, they should be able to switch to j'ai un crayon bleu and ask the question too. But it is a very gentle build up. Does this make sense at all?
    Year 3, particularly SEN really should be looking at identifying which are masculine/feminine nouns by looking for the un/une as a clue. They should be looking at the spellings of the sounds of French which is far more phonetic than English -see the huge range of pas a pas, manual phonique, etc resources. All on a simple jolly phonics style level. By all means read stories and sing songs and listen out /join in with repeated phrases and try to concentrate on using a LOT of gesture to reinforce memorisation, especially with SEN children who will need a lot of multisensory input. But as for the objectives - the key literacy and oracy objectives for year 3 are based around getting used to the sounds of French and enjoying the language and 'experiment with COPYING familiar words'.
    Hope this helps.

3. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

4. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

So you have to have a site licence for clicker 5, and then pay extra for the Spanish units?
    I reckon you'd be better off with TaskMagic. [​IMG]

5. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

Yes; not a huge outlay for schools that already have basic Clicker. Unless you get a free copy for writing a review!! Can you build sentences on the IWB with Task magic like you can with Clicker?

6. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

Hmmm, I don't know exactly how Clicker works. But there are 2 components of TaskMagic - Mix&Gap and Dialogues - that basically work on reconstructing an original text or dialogue. The text can be a sentence with just a few words, or it can be several paragraphs (amounting to a maximum of 500 words).
    There are several exercises based on word by word reconstruction, as well as all sorts of other that do different things. It really is far easier for you to have a look than for me to try to explain...
    Have a look at the free Spanish unit for "en la cafetería" here. It's a free program that anyone with a Windows computer can use, and it doesn't require installation, just download, unzip and run.
    Numbers 6 and 10 provide reconstruction and gap-filling work based on simple dialogues.
    Number 11 provides a whole range of exercises and activities based on a short text about food and drink.
    These are all examples of files that have been made using TaskMagic. You can make similar resources based on your own text (including with audio, as in these examples). Just compose (or copy and paste) a text, make a couple of gap-fills, make a "find the Spanish/French" exercise if you like, et voilà!

7. runaway

runaway New commenter

As you know I'm a big fan of task magic but it doesn't do what clicker does. Clicker works much more on an individual word basis helping you to build up sentences and add pronunciatioon at same time also aimed at being used originally in KS1 so very very simple and big easy buttons if that makes sense? So it's great for primary and SEN but I think older children would find it a bit babyish. Similarly young children are going to struggle some of the task magic simply because of the layout font sizing etc. different horses for different courses -and both excellent might I add!