1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Clever marketing or genuine educational reasons?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by emerald52, Nov 9, 2015.

1. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

On breakfast TV was a report of a school where the 6th formers start at 1.30pm so 'they work better getting up later'. I had heard of this idea but 1.30pm seemed far too late for me. I looked at the details online. This is a small private school of 200 pupils. They have opened a 6th form this year. So was it....let's help the students....or....let's help ourselves by re-using our buildings when the day for 3 - 16 year olds is finished?

2. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

There are pros and cons to this.
    I do think you need to be a bit hard nosed about this sort of thing. You need to test and query the evidence robustly but, in the end, if the evidence holds up you need to go with it.
    There is also a cost/benefit analysis to be done. Do the benefits outweigh the costs?
    In particular, will more learning take place?

3. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

My point is that though they might help lesrning by starting later, it was not that late, 1.30 but 10am. This school is running the new sixth form in the rooms vacated by the morning school. A money making venture dressed up as done for the sake of the pupils. A cynical ploy imho.